NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:16 am 

So I have a Windows XP Pro computer that is running my SageTV server (TV recording software). And also I got my initial NASLite+ USB computer up and running with 3 drives. So then I went into the SageTV computer, and told it about my new hard drives on NASLite+ computer. That all worked fine. The SageTV server can write files to NASLite PC without problems.

Next, I told SageTV to start recording some new tv shows (in Standard DVD quality) which amounts to like 2.5GB per hour (If I remember right). So can browse the NASLite share like \\NasVideo1\Disk-1 and I can see the mpg2 files that are being created. I even watched one of them last night from my SageTV client. So far so good.

Next is where I encountered an apparent problem. I wanted to copy one of the video mpeg2 files from the NASLite+ PC from a Windows XP computer. But when I tried to copy and paste it, I got an error saying "Access Denied". I tried from two separate Windows XP machines and it didnt work.

The only way I was able to copy the file from the NASLite+ computer to a different computer, was to log into the computer that actually created the Video mpeg2 file in the first place. So I logged into this SageTV server, mapped to the NASLite+ computer, and copied the file from it, to another local hard drive on the SageTV computer. And it worked!!!!

I dont understand what kind of file access/permissions might be happening here to prevent me from copying the file using any other machine than the one that created it.

Does that make any sense to someone that has done something like this before? I didnt really think that the NASLite+ computer was employing any file level permissions. But then again, it is a linux OS, so it makes me think that there must be some kind of permissions on it. Its just that a Windows Computer cant see any of the native linux security info.

I want to be able to copy these video files from any machine, to any machine on the network. Hope its something simple I can do.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:49 pm 

I could see a couple of situations where this might occur.

1. Your other Windows PC's are on a different network. NASLite only works for computers on the same network. You may have different network settings on some of your PC's.

2. Your other PC's are set to a different workgroup than what you have the NASLite box set to. Or you didn't set the workgroup name on the NASLite box.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2006 1:11 am 

well it seemed to work just fine tonight. Go figure :) And I didnt do anything at all. Just browsed the \\Nasvideo1\Disk-1 drive, and copy and pasted the 4.5 GB video file to my local PC. And it worked fine. In fact I copied several files. So now its realllly mysterious.

All machines are in the same workgroup. I can see NASLite PC from all workstations. And they can browse all information and files. It just seem to have problems with copy/pasting information.

I am wondering the *preview* feature in Windows XP explorer shell is the culprit. Maybe it just had the file locked. I saw it show up in Windows Exploder in the little preview window. So maybe the error message was because it denied access because file was *locked* because of the preview window accessing it.

Next time I will have to see if there is a way to determine if a file is *locked* or not on XP. Or in use.

I know on Windows Server you can see that