NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 4:48 pm 

For some odd reason, one of my PCs which is running WinXP Media Center Edition (MCE), starts to slow down when accessing my NASlite+ server until I am forced to reboot the PC. My server viewed through http or another PC not running Media Center Edition, viewing the server through Windows Explorer, seem to be fine.

The MCE system access of the NASlite+ server is fine after reboot, but gets continually slower. It's not an instantaneous problem, that is, it doesn't just all of the sudden get slow. It's gradual. By slow I mean it can take 5 seconds to update a Windows Explorer window. It's near impossible to even move a file in an environment like that.

I am wondering if that is because MCE uses a different version of the CIFS implementation than normal XP. I am told this by Netgear. I had a Netgear SC101 Storage Central for a short time but, having problems with data corruption, was told by Netgear that MCE uses a different version of CIFS from XP Home/Professional and is not compatible.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 6:13 am 

Hi dbulfer

I use MCE2005 on my HTPC and stream all my mp3's, photo's, ripped dvd's and High Def movies from my NAS and haven't suffered any problems with the pc slowing down, I've played a couple of HD movies right through this week so maybe 2 hours of continual streaming and my HTPC hasn't noticeably slowed. :wink:

MCE2005 is a cut down version of Win xp, there are various opinions as to whether its a beefed up Home edition or a cut down Pro edition but it is win xp with the media centre bit added on, I would be surprised if Bill and co had used a different version of CIFS for his "value added" product. But this is the world of microsoft so nothing should be ruled out :)

I'd be considering re-installing MCE first and then checking network cards and cables. Problems with NASlite are 99.9% of the time hardware related and not the actual software. 8)
Good luck

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:11 pm 

This is brand new system, an HP m7100e, an Athlon64 x2 3400+. Un-installing and reinstalling XP does not make much sense. It's a pretty clean system.

Addressing your response, I am computer literate. I work in computer business in the Silicon Valley and was key to getting the leader in the NAS market, Network Appliance, going.

In that Microsoft is intent on migrating all of the installed home market to MCE, you may wish to look at this issue a bit closer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 8:43 pm 
hi dbulfer,

Windows Media Center is built on the same core as Windows XP with a few changes. I can't find any evidence that MCE uses a different version of CIFS on either Microsoft or Netgear documents. Also depending on what oem key you use you could have either XP Pro or the XP tablet edition using the MCE Cd's.
infact the SC101 does work with MCE 2004 and MCE 2005 machines, and a Tablet 2005. So why Netgear would tell you different I don't know? if you look here you will notice Home or Pro is not mentioned http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101567.asp only Windows XP SP2 and above. just because MCE is not listed does not mean it wont work.

Without wishing to sound rude, I don't know what being computer literate and working in the Silicon Valley has to do with your problem? We all get computer problems at some time or another. Reinstalling a OS can solve a lot of problems, from virus infection, to spyware. buggy drivers. corrupt files etc. Some times it can take far longer to try to fix a screwed up OS then to reinstall it fresh. Have you checked Task manager to see what is taking up resources? I take it you have performed a Virus and Spyware Scan?

Eden