NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:12 am 

I have my NASLite+ box set up so that various directorys on Disk-1 are mapped to drives on my Windows PC, one for downloads, one for data files etc etc. Every morning my backup software does an incrimental backup to Disk-2.

My problem is that on boot up all the drives on the Nas initially show up as "Disconnected" under Windows. As soon as I double click on them in Explorer they start working properly, but this is the only way I have found to connect the drives. Until I do this, my backup software can't see the drives, and neither can a command line window (I thought about using a batch file to re-connect)

This means that when I start up I have to go to Win Explorer and manually open all drives which point to the NAS, otherwise my backup run fails.

Anyone got any ideas? This happens whether the NAS is fully booted up before the PC starts or not.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:47 am 
Hi mongoose,

Did you have Reconnect at login ticked? when you created the Mapped Drive?

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:40 am 

I think so, however I shall check since it is the sort of stupid mistake I can see myself making.

It seems to default to checked, I have re-mapped one of the drives with it deffinitly checked to see if it makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 11:37 pm 

Greetings all,

Mine also does this as well. Doesnt appear to be all the time for instance if I just want to play mp3 via winamp it seems to connect straight up when the pc is turned on but if I use bitcommet just after booting my winbox it wont start downloading until I go to the nas drive via windexplorer and click on the drive. Strange

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 8:38 pm 

fixed it!

It seems that the drives will autoconnect if the NAS is turned on and running before the PC starts to boot. If the two boot up at the same time, the drives don't show up properly

I guess Windows re-establishes its network shares earlier in the boot process than I thought.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 9:30 pm 

Not on mine. I leave the nas running all the time and only turn my xp machine off. When it boots I have to go to explorer and click the drives for bitcommet to begin downloadin.