NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:10 am 

I have a 2 win98 clients and 2 win2k clients running ms Access 97 database front ends all BLOCKED_WORD to a win2k file server with the common database backend and stored tiff and doc files that have their pathways documented in the backend database and can be called up via the client front ends.

Could a naslite file server take over the the role of the win2k file server with the backend and still allow the windows clients database front ends to work?

I have had a look around on the forum and nothing shows up after search for database, backend.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:28 am 

ocular wrote:
I have a 2 win98 clients and 2 win2k clients running ms Access 97 database front ends all BLOCKED_WORD to a win2k file server with the common database backend and stored tiff and doc files that have their pathways documented in the backend database and can be called up via the client front ends.

Could a naslite file server take over the the role of the win2k file server with the backend and still allow the windows clients database front ends to work?

I have had a look around on the forum and nothing shows up after search for database, backend.

Hi Ocular,

Depends on what the W2K Server does in addition acting as a file server for a MSAccess DB. If the backend is just a MBD that uses no special Windows applications/services then it _should_ work. AFAIK even if you are using DSN's or simple shares to connect, NASLITE+ should allow you to make the connection. Of course, without testing it I can't give a 100% 'will work' (tm) answer.

Let us know how oyu go, would be interested to know.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 8:56 am 

thanks timmay,

the backend is just an mdb file and no other windows programs are necessary.

It seems strange there is no mention of this type of naslite file server on the forum.

One of the problems I have is that fat32 has a limit of files per directory ( I think about 60,000 odd) - this is reduced even further with long file names which the stored doc and tiff files have.

I presume NasLITe won't overcome this problem for the win98 computers using fat32?, Sound as though I will have to go to NTFS ( and get rid of win98 as they can't see ntfs file systems)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 9:00 am 

The less I see of Windows 98, the happier I am :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:34 am 

timmay wrote:
The less I see of Windows 98, the happier I am :D

second that :wink: