NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:19 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:29 am 

where is the developer here? I have seen constant requests for help with xp problems but no one has a correct answer. If this many people are having the same problem then this highly suggest a problem with the application. I find it hard to believe that a product that boasts of compatibility and ease of use is NOT compatible with xp. The developer should be addressing this. If this was freeware then allowing users to flounder for a fix might be accectable. This software is NOT freeware and the developer should address this instead of ignoring all of these reports.
STEP UP TO THE PLATE MR. DEVELOPER AND FIND THE ANSWER.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:41 pm 
Hi billmkar,

I have looked at your previous post and I cannot find any from you regarding XP problems. What sort of problems are you encountering? a correctly setup Win xp should not have any problems working with naslite at all. More often then not problems with Naslite is down to faulty hardware or the operator doing something wrong . Please post whats not working for you.

Cheers

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:54 pm 
Site Admin

Thanks edeng...

Hello billmkar,

As the NASLite developer, I'm most definitely here and always willing to help. NASLite is a software product that implements standard and very well documented protocols (TELNET, HTTP, FTP, SMB/CIFS and NFS), hence it is fully compatible and easy to implement in any pertinant and conventional setup. If you take the time and review the posts on THIS forum, you may be surprised to find that any and all posted issues pertaining to NASLite have in fact been resolved by the original posters, the forum members and/or the developers.

Documentation pertaining to the proper implementation of a NASLite server is available to all - free of charge. If you find flaws in that documentation, I'll be most interested in correcting those. Please feel free to review and point the areas where additional explanation is necessary.
Quote:
STEP UP TO THE PLATE MR. DEVELOPER AND FIND THE ANSWER

Since you directed your "call for action" to the developer personally, I'd like to ask you a question. Should the NASLite developers be responsible for educating people about how to administer a WinXP machine, how to assemble a PC properly or how to implement a network?
Quote:
"lots of xp problems-no answers"

Lastly, if you could clarify your topic by providing specific issues that you are refering to, I'll be pleased to help in resolving those.

Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I find it hard to believe that a product that boasts of compatibility and ease of use is NOT compatible with xp.

Billmkar

Could you also please explain why NASLite has compatibility problems? Please clairify this, I'm under the impression that you are implying NASLite has bugs when using XP.

Currently v1.x has been in production for nearly a year and half and Tony and I aren't aware of any bugs, but if you've found something, we'd be more than happy to address and fix it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 4:47 pm 
Billmkar,

To be fair to the developers they cannot be expected to answer Win XP issues. MS has a massive support base for this.

I am quite happy to help out where I can and so are many others, Personaly I'd rather the developers spend the time developing the product then answer questions that the mighty MS should be answering.

If Naslite is setup on a working machine and the network is ok and XP wont work with naslite, first place id look is the XP machine.. there are many things in XP that can cause a problem and it to fail.

Eden

Post subject: Huh?
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 7:37 pm 

I've been using this product since July, 2004 and have never had a problem with it. I have over 1.5TB of data on two NASlite+ servers. NASlite has never crashed and I've never lost a bit of data. I've never had a problem connecting to a NASlite server from any version of Windows or Unix. NASlite just plain works. In fact, the only down time I've had has been during a few reboots to run a newer version.

I am completely sold on NASlite and will continue to recommend and buy the product.

-Jeff

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:19 pm 
jfrantz,

My Nas serves 3 Xbox's and 1pc though wireless, and 2 others though cable and a laptop though wireless and old reliable is always there waiting to serve. All running XP pro. (except the xbox's)

My wife is the greatist critic, never heard her complain that she can't listen to her music or that she couldnt watch a film off the nas.

In all the mag reviews ive read its been recommended fully and the reviewers never encountered problems with XP.

Eden

Post subject: No XP problems here
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 12:15 pm 

I have had no problems connecting to my NASLite box with XP, or Win98 or various flavors of Linux. This product simply does what it does, it works! Just got a 160gb MaxAttach 4100 off of Ebay with no software and am going to use NASlite to power it. This product is exceptionally fit for its purpose, to serve up files and make much needed storage area.

Don't be part of the problem, be a part of the solution!

JSykes

Post subject: Re: No XP problems here
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 1:43 pm 
JSykes wrote:

JSykes

Nice! ;-)

Post subject: Re: No XP problems here
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2006 4:34 pm 

edeng wrote:
JSykes wrote:

JSykes

Nice! ;-)

I agree Eden :wink:

You and Sanmaster helped me a lot when I first started using NASlite, the people on this forum choose to help out their fellow users rather than be-little or abuse them and that is what IMHO makes this the best forum on the net 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am 

<my 2c worth>

IMHO my fee for the product is more like a donation, where what I paid is dwarfed by what I get (both interms of software and support). I haven't some accross many other products with such a strong forum base, knowledgeable contributors and useful information. (i.e. no post warriors). Imagine if companies like Micro$oft had forum support like this, they might actually release a product that <insert microsoft rant here>

If you require asssitance then you have an amazing wealth of knowledge at your disposal, not only from the Server elements team but the developers. All you have to do is ASK!

</my 2c worth>

T.