NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I give up
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:41 pm 

Created 10 different bootable CDs using 3 different recommended apps and none are recognized as bootable. WinISO show iso file to be bootable, but still no luck.

I want my money back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 3:37 pm 

A couple of recomendations:

1. Use CD-RW disks until you get it working.
2. Make sure the machine will boot from CD. Use a Windows install CD or a Linux distribution boot CD to test this. If they won't boot, it may be an issue with the machine and not the CD. Also make sure the BIOS is set to boot from CD.
3. Will the NASLite+ CD boot on any machine you have access to?
4. Try downloading the ISO image again. Some people had problems where the data was corrupted during download. This occured more when using FireFox.
5. Make sure you got the NASLite+ version and not the NASLite-USB version.

I know from experience that Nero will burn the ISO image just fine. Make sure you chose to burn an image and not to burn a data cd.

What steps did you take after you downloaded the img file? What did you use to burn the img file? What happens when you try to boot it?

And finally, keep us posted on your progress and let us know what worked or didn't work, so other people can benifit from it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:01 pm 
racerdeb,

Don't give up, firstly you have to have the boot order CD ROM as your boot device, i asume you have checked that.

if your using nero select recorder then burn image then select your *.iso then make sure write method is Disc at once.

Good luck

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:37 pm 

I have the bios set to boot from CD.

Other CDs are booting in this machine such as PartitionMagic and a Windows Xp cd with the boot disk.

I have attempted to create a bootable disc in Roxio Easy CD Creator 5 and Easy CD Creator 8 using all four types of emmulation, with and without "Disc at once", with and without changing the sectors to 4 and back to 1. I have tried using the "burn image" option within both Easy CD Creator and Nero (demo version) instead of the "Make Bootable CD" option. I have redownload the iso file 3 times, once with IE and twice with Firefox.

This is the product description in my confirmation email:
"Server Elements would like to assure your satisfaction on this and every order you place with us. Below, please find your NASLite+ v1.x CD-ROM ISO Image instant download link."

I have tried including a boot img with the iso file on some of the burns without any luck either. Although I don't know why, WinISO shows the NAS iso file to be bootable.

Using one of the discs with the "burn iso image" option in Nero that you suggested will open on my Win2K machine but only opens a "thank you" html page ... nothing more.

On the machine that I wiped and attempting to use as a NAS, I receive a "no bootable media" "error loading operating system"

I have been reading back thru old posts on this forum in hopes to not have to bother anyone but I have tried all previously suggested things and I am just not getting it. I have also read on other forums just how others raved about NASlite. I really want to try the product. Any help would be greatly appreciated and would increase the confidence level tremendously!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:02 am 

racerdeb
Don't give up with NASlite, it really is a great piece of software, it is just a little more hands on to set up than say Windows but you'll be much more satisfied with your work when its up and running :wink: Try this for burning your iso image http://isorecorder.alexfeinman.com/isorecorder.htm all you do is right click on the .iso image, at the top of the pop up menu it says "burn the image to cd" thats the one you want :) chuck a blank cd in your burner and follow the wizard, much more user friendly than Nero etc I've burnt a number of ISO images on it very succesfully and now use it as my default iso burning software.
Any problems come back to the forum, the people on this forum are very helpful and know there stuff.
Good Luck
Wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 5:52 am 
racerdeb,

Very strange, I know one poster had a problem when he downloaded using firefox, but you have used IE and firefox, I'd say there is nothing wrong with the *.iso as I could use the same one and have success.

But something is defo wrong, don't use boot.img. the iso should be fine as is. Have you tried the CD in your current pc it wont damage nothing, just to see if it boots. it wont install its self. Also get yourself a CDRW while we sort this,

On the Win2k machine this is correct you will only get a html page, you can not boot in windows. \MNU\NL1.HTM should the the page you see. When in windows and you open the nas cd do u see 3 folders, BOOT DOC MNU and two other files autorun and autorun.inf?

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:19 pm 

Thanks everyone!

I am making some progress. I did get the image to burn correctly and boot on a old Win98 machine I have.

Now I just have to get it boot on the other old machine I want use for storage. The machine had WinXp Pro loaded on it but the OS is a little bit too much for the PII machine so it has been wiped. Only has a small DOS partition on it.

Any other suggestions? I am totally open to anything and obviously enjoy learning things the hard way!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:38 pm 
Ok,
the donor machine is set to boot from CD so thats done, the only other thing i can think of is the current CD Rom drive can not read the disk, can you try another CD rom drive? the one in the other machine?

if you resolve this please post back so others can learn from this.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 3:10 pm 

I'll certainly give it a shot!

More later -

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:46 pm 

You will be happy to know the suggestion worked.

I took the cdrom drive out of the old Compaq PII running Win98 and installed it in the machine I am attempting to use as NAS. The CD booted and is running on the machine...finally!

I would not have guessed the CDROM being the problem because other CDs were running and working just fine in the drive. ONLY the CDs recently burned with iso files that were not. So, I naturally assumed the files were corrupt or the burning method was incorrect. :oops:

It definitely has been a learning experience for me. I hope it lends some additional insight and tech support options for anyone else down the road having difficulty getting their CD to boot as designed.

I certainly appreciate the assistance and persistance from you guys to not let me give up. I will continue forward in the manual and be back if I run into anything I might not be able to figure out. (after I get a new CDROM)

THANKS a MILLION!

Have a good weekend! :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:52 pm 
racerdeb,

Well I am happy you are up and running! computers can act stage at times and its always a process of elimination.

Have fun with your server

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:19 am 

heres a tip....

keep an eye on ebay for an old SCSI CDROM/CDR + SCSI CARD.

You can pick these up for buttons and is a great solution for this type of problem and a handy bit of kit for your toolbox :

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:14 pm 

Thanks Fat for the suggestion. I already have one coming from ebay the same day I discovered the other one was getting schizophrenic.

Post subject: Re: I give up
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:16 pm 

racerdeb wrote:
Created 10 different bootable CDs using 3 different recommended apps and none are recognized as bootable. WinISO show iso file to be bootable, but still no luck.

I want my money back.

Try to use magiciso to burn iso image. you can also make iso image bootable with it. It works fine to me.

http://www.magiciso.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 2:18 pm 
Hi forkart,

The problem was not with the burning of the ISO but the CD Rom drive,
The ISO does not need to be altered in anyway to work.
I use Nero set at disk at once method of burning.

Eden