NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 7:42 am 
Its getting quite exciting with all the talk of Version 2 of Naslite/
There has been a lot of talk on the forum about what naslite2 will feature, Some i guess will be added some not, What things would you like added to naslite2?

I won't say what I want just yet, i might get some more ideas..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 9:46 am 

I'd like to see a default gateway with ftp named user access, password and folder access options. Some sort of internet access is required and I think ftp would suit nicely, VPN is a bit of an overkill, just to be able to transfer files to and from via back up software and an ftp browser would be great and the ability to allow outside users access to some of my files would be nice. I'd like to see SATA, USB and PCI card support, SATA definitely for movie streaming :D RAID would be nice, for me the portability options are ok but it would be good if you could assign which disks you wish to move, so say disk 3 is portable and as such cannot be assigned to any RAID arrays, I'd also like to see UPnp support and if possible some sort of motherboard monitoring like you can get with motherboard monitor but have it so it shows up in the http:// ***.***.***.*** info/ page. The final thing I'd like is to use the NASlite pc's processors for transferring data between disks, pretty much a requirement if Vers 2.0 is going to include RAID. Here's hoping :wink:

So long as the stability is there that's about it for me, be interesting to see what we get 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:47 am 
Hi Wilbur,

Default gateway and ftp user accounts would be ideal, could setup a nice ftp server for my m8 to access and for me to access from anywhere and dump files etc.

VPN i agree is over kill, if i wanted that id do it on my XP box, i'd have a ftp server running on my XP machine and have access to all the other features.

SATA, USB etc and PCI card support is also anther great addition, like i said before Nalitev1 does as it says on the tin, its designed to run on low spec pc's which it does and does very well, but with V2 people with more modern hardware will be able to take advantage of these devices, i have SATA on my MB but at present its unused. plugging in a HD on the USB is cool as well, thats where u can get real portabilty if u so wish. and pci card support will allow more drives, you know us men we love BIG and better then anyone else.... LOL.

Raid is another nice option and i have read Tony's comments on the pros and cons of it.
like you cant just pull a disk and run around to a m8's. if it was software raid i guess it would slow everthing up a bit, and if your running 8 disks this may be present a tech problem, but given the choice id say I would love Raid. I got a lot of data on one of my 200GB drives and backing that up is a pain. and if that died right now, i can say that i wont have all the data backed up..but if that was in a raid at least i still got the data.
i could backup to another NAS but this would take forever.

As media interests grow more and more people will want uPNP lots of devices support it now and i think its the way to go. I have seen some NAS software that measures cpu temp and HD temp, nice little extras.. what about a CPU warning buzz...

sometimes i back up my nas drive to drive, this takes ages running though my network then back out again to my nas, if raid was a no go a disk copy mode would be ideal.. provided there was safeguards that u cant copy the wrong way, (blank disk to a full disk)

UPS support is another nice option would be good for my UPS to power down my nas server.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 10:13 pm 

Hi all,

I gottta say, I'm looking forward to what will be released in Version 2.0.

DG would be nice for me, but I run a single Class C network (i.e. 192.168.0.x) so really routing accross multiple networks isn't really that a bigger deal. I can see more of a commercial benifit for it, but then you drify away from the original goals of the product. Much like VPN woud be on a closed network to me, another disabled function. I don't know that many home netwotk users who have it enabled, althought I know I should. Tough balancing act, I guess.

Enabling SATA suppot is merely keeping up with the times, so I can see support for it happening. Although in Austrlaia (and I assume other parts of the world) you can buy HDD's for less than a $1AUD per GIG for a PATA interface.

RAID is my big thing. Much like edeng, I'm very apranoid about losing my data so I run backups on a regular basis. Right now I'm starting to push 200GB, therfore rsync and scp are a slow option. RAID is so much nicer, but again this might go against the goalso f the product...

UPS wold be nice, and I'm not sure how complex this would be. Perahsp an add-on product the guys are working on...

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 11:43 am 

edeng wrote:
sometimes i back up my nas drive to drive, this takes ages running though my network then back out again to my nas, if raid was a no go a disk copy mode would be ideal.. provided there was safeguards that u cant copy the wrong way, (blank disk to a full disk)

UPS support is another nice option would be good for my UPS to power down my nas server.

eden

I second both of those, I have an incremental backup set up so that Disk-1 is copied to disk-3 every morning at 9am. It doesn't take too long now that its going, but the initial run took litterally all day! The UPS thing would be great too, I don't currently have a UPS but if NASLite could support one like this I might well buy one as you can pick up a small one for ~£40 these days.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 12:05 pm 

mongoose wrote:
I don't currently have a UPS but if NASLite could support one like this I might well buy one as you can pick up a small one for ~£40 these days.

I bought one from Maplins a Trust one for £29.99, fine for the NASbox :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 2:24 pm 

yeah thing is though without auto shutdown capability I'd have to be able to keep enough of my network running to telnet into the server and shut down. Power blackouts around here rare but when the do happen they tend to be longer than a cheap UPS will back me up for, so really I need the auto-shutdown for it to be useful.

I suppose it would cover someone tripping out the electricity though...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2006 5:49 pm 

I've gotta say the power quality around here has been preety good, however I ahve a mate who lives 2 blocks away and his power is always spiking (same provider even). Nonetheness, you can never be too careful. We are meant to be in the middle of summer, but I look outside and all I see is storms and rain. You just never know what is around the corner to trip your systems.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:56 pm 

Been reading this site and I have to say I love what I see, My question is there a timeframe for V2.0.

I work in a small 12 person engineering office and I want to set up a new server, should I wait for 2.0 or not.

thanks

Jay