NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:37 am 

I hope someone can help, after a bad windstorm last night, my naslite+ server can no longer start up one of the hard drives... even though on the admin web page it says

Quote:
Disk-3 Initialization Messages

1. Checking for Disk-3
2. Disk-3 is not available

Disk-3 Hardware

* Maxtor 6Y160P0, ATA DISK drive
* attached ide-disk driver.
* host protected area => 1
* 320173056 sectors (163929 MB) w/7936KiB Cache, CHS=19929/255/63, UDMA(100)

NOTE: Disk-3 is installed and can be configured for use with NASLite+.

the disk is not mounted... in the logs it says
Quote:
# eb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.info kernel: Partition check:
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.info kernel: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0: p1
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.info kernel: /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target1/lun0: p1
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.info kernel: /dev/ide/host0/bus1/target0/lun0:hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3, high=0, low=3, sector=0
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3, high=0, low=3, sector=2
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4, high=0, low=4, sector=4
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 4
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3, high=0, low=3, sector=0
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 0
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=3, high=0, low=3, sector=2
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 2
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: hdc: dma_intr: error=0x40 { UncorrectableError }, LBAsect=4, high=0, low=4, sector=4
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: end_request: I/O error, dev 16:00 (hdc), sector 4
# Feb 4 11:06:20 HomeNAS user.warn kernel: unable to read partition table

help! i have some data on that disk that i really need - is there anyway to recover this? would booting up in koppeix help? i'm a linux novice, so i would appreciate any pointers on recovery command lines or scripts or apps. Please help. Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 6:01 am 

now that IS interesting

I have the 120GB version of the same drive and am having what apears to be exactly the same problem, every time my system goes down improperly I loose the Maxtor drive (other two drives in my system do the long smart test thing but re-mount ok).

If it is the same problem then I don't know whats causeing it yet but I am beginning to suspect some sort of incompatibility between these Maxtor drives and Naslite.

All is not lost however, Do you have a WinXP machine you can plug the drive into? If so try using this software http://www.fs-driver.org/ to read the damaged Maxtor on your WinXP box. So far both times this has happened to me the drive has read fine using that software even though it wont mount in NASLite+, so hopefully you should be able to get that data back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 10:30 am 
Hi Guys,

You could try fixing the partition table http://www.tldp.org/LDP/sag/html/partitions.html

But before you attempt make sure you have a backup.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:15 pm 

Thanks mongoose and edeng. i do have an XP machine and will try to see if i can copy all the contents off. Mongoose, you are also right that my first 2 disks are non-maxtor, they are in fact Western Digitals. This is indeed disturbing. I have another Hitachi drive lying around, and when i recover the data on this maxtor, i will swap them out and see if i still have problems. It's really scary when you have naslite running for no problems for almost a month, and start to trust your data with it exclusively, that this happens. I'm beginning to wonder if i should invest in a UPS, but i'm not sure if there are any UPS that can signal naslite to perform a proper shutdown :( Thanks for your help!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:27 pm 
jkkw,

When I purchased naslite+ I remember a post by someone who lost power and on rebooting their drive would not mount. I can not remember if they lost data or not. This did concern me as I was a new user of naslite and all my data was on my xp machine. slowly i moved my data across and have had plenty of power outages and every time my nas would boot and be fine. It is a worry that the drive can be screwed up due to powerfailure, I invested in a UPS but it does not power down the nas.

Once I get my test machine running i will try to recreate this and see what i can find out

UPDATE: Just had a look around the forum, check this out.
http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 5ce1554cf1
Eden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:29 am 

mongoose, i tried http://www.fs-driver.org/ it found and could see the linux parition in the IFS control panel, but when i tried to access it in explorer, it kept saying that the disk is not formatted, please format it. :( i guess this means that the IFS driver saw it, but it doesn't work.

next option is to boot up with koeppix and see if i can repair the disk - i did try to mount it with koeppix and it did not mount successfully, so i guess the next step is fdisk or cfdisk..

wish me luck..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 4:47 am 

edeng wrote:

UPDATE: Just had a look around the forum, check this out.
http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 5ce1554cf1
Eden

Thanks Eden, I tried that one the first time it happened to me, no effect. Looks like jkkw's drive is doing something different to mine though, perhaps it might work for him.

good luck jkkw!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 1:17 am 

:( knoppix can see the drive \dev\hda, it's an icon on the desktop. Knoppix will try to mount it when i click on it, but the progress indicator never goes beyond 0% :(

running root shell in knoppix and trying "fdisk \dev\hda" results in "unable to read \dev\hda", using "cfdisk \dev\hda" results in "FATAL ERROR: unable to read \dev\hda". Using SFdisk, i did get it to spit out some information

Quote:
Disk /dev/hda: 19929 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
read: Input/output error

sfdisk: read error on /dev/hda - cannot read sector 0
/dev/hda: unrecognized partition table type
Old situation:
No partitions found

I've read man fdisk, and i still don't know what to do. Is all my data gone? how can i recover it? help please... i'm getting desperate.[/quote]

Post subject: even gpart failed :(
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 2:25 am 

i tried gpart /dev/hda hoping i would get some signs of life... nope.. all i got is another "**Fatal Error: cannot get sector size on dev(/dev/hda)"

I'm beginning to wonder if knoppix actually even sees the drive, i go to system | Kinfocenter and see \dev\hda as a drive with 0B free.

Any linux experts care to help me with this? how can i be sure linux sees the physical drive? I also tried dmesg, which blurted out a ton of stuff, but nothing useful (at least to me)... of note is
Quote:
buffer i/o error on device hda, logical block 1

it goes on from logical block 1 to logical block 24...

is my disk toast? any other ideas? i'm running of novice googled linux tricks here... any experts care to help me out?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:56 am 
Site Admin

This is just a FYI and not an explanation of what you are experiencing:

Consider the possibility that sudden power failures occasionally cause head crashes. That may damage the heads as well as the plates, rendering the drive problematic or useless.

Most newer drives use the plate inertia to unload the heads thus preventing the possibility of such damage, but I’m sure sometime corners are cut.