NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 7:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: existing HD qustion
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:28 pm 

I found this site looking for a NAS solution to use with my HTPC. Right now i have a 250 gig SATA HD filled and I bought another 250 SATA. I would like to offload these from my htpc to an older machine and use it as a NAS. I know that NASlite does not support SATA YET :) but i was wondering when it does will i be able to plug in my existing 250 HD with movies and my blank one or will i have to offload all the content and format it?

Also is this Backward compatible if for some reason down the road i decide to take out a HD from the NAS and put it in a PC keeping the programs on it.

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:45 pm 
jradams76,

The HD would have to be formatted, so would the files would need to be juggled around.

if you remove a HD from a naslite machine and place in to a pc you will need to run a program to read the filesystem.

Wilbur another member here uses his NAS for streaming HD to his HTPC and he encounters no problems and he is using the PATA.

Bookmark this website and check back for news on V2.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:28 pm 

edeng wrote:
jradams76,

The HD would have to be formatted, so would the files would need to be juggled around.

if you remove a HD from a naslite machine and place in to a pc you will need to run a program to read the filesystem.

Wilbur another member here uses his NAS for streaming HD to his HTPC and he encounters no problems and he is using the PATA.

Bookmark this website and check back for news on V2.

Eden

jradams
I use TheaterTek within MCE2005 with the Nvidia codecs and stream my HD material cleanly, my NAS is based on a modern socket A motherboard and the PATA disks are UDMA100, my old DMA66 were a bit stuttery for HD but streamed normal dvd files ok, I too will upgrade my movie disks to SATA when Vers 2.0 comes out 8)
Now the trick for you when you build your NAS is put your new empty SATA into your NAS and format it, when thats done copy the contents from your old full SATA drive still in your windows pc to it, and when thats done put the old drive in the NAS and format that, giving you two drives and all your data, and you only moved the data once :wink:
Good luck and I hope you decide to purchase, NASlite is a great way of centrally storing all your data so your pc's around the house or office only need smaller cooler running drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:07 pm 

Thanks a lot!!! I will be keeping an eye out then for version 2. One more question I dont quite understand the difference between the versions of naslite? the floppy version, cdrom, usb?

The floppy i assume will be installed via floppy and then boot from it?

the cd rom will install from cd rom and then boot from floppy?

the usb will install from image? and boot from usb?

Which is a good way to go for using it as a media server?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:44 pm 
jradams76,

Believe it or not but you dont really install this OS, each boots from the media its on, (usb version has to be copied to the flash first)

The floppy version's are free! each doing its own thing i.e. ftp, smb. etc.

The retail versions i.e. naslite+ naslite+ for usb perform better then the floppy versions, faster network performance and others.
the cd version boots from CD loads the OS in the ram and thats it.
the usb version boots from usb and does the same as above.

The manuals are free to download these will explain more, they are well written and often over looked.
I'd say that the usb version is the one to go for, simply because you will have a extra ide channel for another hd, so you can run 4 HD's instead of 3 with the CD version.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2006 2:59 pm 

Great news Thanks!!! I just got my clean SATA 250 HD in the mail yesterday so I will patiently wait for version 2 to be released. I'm looking to turn my 1.2 AMD into the NAS machine. I need to update the motherboard though to support SATA and would like to get a gigabit card in there as i have a gigabit switch connecting all my PC's. I have been looking at this motherboard: EP-8RDA3+PRO

It has everything that I could want but I'm not sure about the option to boot from usb. How much memory do most people use to run the NASlite machines? I'm planning on it houseing my dvd's and music and then streaming it via gigabit network to my htpc to play on the tv. I think this machine has 512meg in it or 256 i havent check in awhile since its an old machine.

Thanks for the info!!!