NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:59 pm 

What a great application! Installation went smoothly and in no time at all I am close to making use of an old K3 chip I've had sitting around for years. So far I have run into only one glitch - and I have seen a number of other folks with the same one - although my NASLITE server shows up in my windows XP explorer window, I can't access the drives in the server. I can ping its IP address just fine as well as its name. Telnet also works. But when I either try and map the server drives or access them from the explore window I get nothing. I have read the other posts that seem to be related but have been unable to make anything work. My server ip address is outside the range specified on my DCHP server. THe subnet mask is ok too. Anyone got any ideas? Color me confused!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 2:42 pm 
Hi

I take it that you have configured the drives?
So you open your server and see no drives.
paste this in to explorer \\youriphere\Disk-1

let us know who u get on.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:29 pm 

Eden.
Thanks for ur response. Drives are configured. NASLITE shows up in explorer window. when i doubleclick i get "you don't have access..." when i put the ip address in the explorer address block i get "can't find the IP". I tried \\ipaddress\ from windows prompt and it says it can't find it, yet when i ping or use telnet for the same ip it works fine. kinda strange...

mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 3:48 pm 
Hi

enter this in to Internet Explorer.
http://YOURIPHERE/Info/About.htm

does this work. can you see the drives as mounted.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 5:11 pm 

Eden,
I can see all three drives (information on them, but no ability to move files back and forth)

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 6:02 pm 

Mike,

I once incorrectly set my subnet mask on the network attaching to the NAS box. THe IP addres and DG were fine. Although I could ping the NAS box, connections were refused. Seeing my error I set the correct subnet mask, but still no luck. After a good ol' Windows REboot everything was sweet :)

There could always be the inevetable networking issue, so shake down (not physically) your router and check you can route the appropiate protocols through to that box. Some routers (I know my netgear does) can block ports just because they feel like it.

Don't know if this helps, but it might get you looking in the right direction.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 8:42 pm 

Eden,
Thanks for your help. Subnet mask is OK and has been. I'm beginning to think my router is the issue. I just wanted to compare notes with someone who has had experience with NASLITE to ensure I was headed the proper direction. I didn't really want to mess with the router because everything else seems to be working fine...

Cheers,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 9:39 pm 
jmcrochet,

ok, power off the server and winxp pc and the router, you can press the reset switch as well, power up the router then wait until its ready power on the winxp then the server. open my network places, view workgroup computers, you should see your nasserver, open this and you should see your drives. yes no?

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:35 am 

Do you by any chance have a firewall that might be restricting your access to the IP address of the NASLite box? I've had that problem in the past where I could ping, I could access via ftp, but I couldn't access the drives in Explorer. Once I remember about my Zone Alarm firewall, and added the requisite IP address, all was well.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:13 pm 

Thanks once again for your suggestions... Router has been reset as have both the XP box and NASLITE. NASLITE appears in the explorer window but still cannot see the hard drives. I have no firewall on the XP machine in question. I'm off to find a new nic. I have a marvell yukon which is supported, but who knows... I'm sure once I figure this out I will find it should have been obvious...

Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:27 pm 

jmcrochet wrote:
I have no firewall on the XP machine in question.

Not even the Win XP firewall by default? As Sir Humphrey Appleby would say, "How courageous"!

Post subject: BETTER LUCKY THAN GOOD
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 8:29 pm 

:D I replaced the nic with a DL-2000 based nic and it seems to be working just fine. THanks to all for helping me narrow down the problem!

Cheers,
Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:10 am 

sjdigital wrote:
jmcrochet wrote:
I have no firewall on the XP machine in question.

Not even the Win XP firewall by default? As Sir Humphrey Appleby would say, "How courageous"!

jmcrochet

See http://www.zonelabs.com :wink: you really should be running a firewall if you have a router connected to the internet, some obscure statistic somewhere I read says a brand new computer connected to the internet without firewall or antivirus will be infected or attacked within 20 minutes.
Zonel alarm is free and very good once set up, costs nothing but can save a whole lot of hastle

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 9:13 am 
Good advice wilbur,

Not only will it stop stuff getting in, but will also stop stuff getting out! I had a machine attacked and infected by a worm in under 5 mins. just after I installed xp and put it on the net.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:11 am 

Yes, I've found that Zone Alarm and Grisoft's AVG anti virus have worked well for me for many years. But just remember to add the NASLite box to your IP range in Zone Alarm or otherwise it is completely inaccessible. Which I suppose shows that Zone Alarm works!