NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:15 am 

Hi all, NASLite newbie here.

I'm thinking about setting up a NASLite+ server, but was wondering how it handles mutiple disks.

For instance, if I have
Hard Disk 1 = 300GB
Hard Disk 2 = 100GB

Will the resulting NASLite+ server appear to my WinXP desktop as a single, 400GB drive (I know it doesn't have RAID 0 capabilities, but how about JBOD?)

Or, will it appear as two separate drives, one 300GB, and the other 100GB?

It would be nice if it was a single 400GB volume. This way, I can just automate my desktop backups to it and maximize/consolidate storage space.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 1:11 am 

It will appear as 2 separate drives.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 7:54 am 

That's unfortunate ... would have been most desireable to have at least JBOD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:32 am 
Site Admin

Quote:
That's unfortunate ... would have been most desireable to have at least JBOD.

How do you suggest one would move disks between servers if JBOD is implemented? Also, how do you suggest data recovery from the second disk is performed when the first disk fails?

JBOD offers no advantage over RAID-0 and RAID-0 is dangerous without underlying redundancy such as RAID-5

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 11:48 am 

Simple, I don't suggest anything.

NASLite+ lacks RAID0 or RAID5, so I'm not sure why you bring those up.

As I understand it, separate disk drives are treated as separate volumes currently. So if one fails, there is no data recovery available for the failed disk anyway. Granted your 2nd drive wouldn't have lost any data, since it is independent of the 1st drive. But your reasoning would make it sound like having no redundancy at all is dangerous, even in plain-vanilla 2 separate hard drive configs like NASLite+.

I merely point out, that as an end-user, my personal requirements for a NAS in my home network is for maximum storage space. Since I intend to use the server for backing up my home computers, I don't care about redundancy as much as I care about maximizing storage space. I don't care about data recovery. If one drive fails, I'll just swap it out and reinitiatize both drives, and start my backups from scratch again.

Others may have different uses for NASLite, and don't care about this limitation. For instance, they may store all their MP3s on the NASLite, so they care about redundancy and data recovery.

PS. JBOD does have some limited advantages over RAID-O:
1. If one drive fails in RAID0, entire array is gone. If one drive fails in JBOD, only the failed drive is lost.

2. To add a new drive to an existing RAIDO array, I believe you have to break the array and re-create it. In contrast, to add a new drive to an existing JBOD, I don't think you have to re-create the volume.

3. To create a RAID0 array, all drives have to be the same capacity, or some space will be lost (ie. 10GB + 30GB drives gives only a 20GB array). To create a JBOD, any odd capacity of drives will add together to give a larger volume (10GB + 30GB = 40GB JBOD).

Last edited by =Tarrant= on Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:18 pm 
=Tarrant=,

I think you will agree that Naslite+ works well as for what it was intended to do, Naslite+ is only a update to naslite (floppy version) and you would never get raid running off the floppy.

Have you purchased a copy of naslite+ or are you waiting for V2 I am sure raid will be supported at some stage. so really naslitev1 and raid is not going to happen.

if you havent purchased naslite+ i'd say go for it. its well worth the money..

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 12:57 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
Simple, I don't suggest anything.

All I was asking for is how do you intend to utilize and administer such feature so I can intelligently consider it’s integration without braking any of the existing options. Not all NASLite users are as proficient as some, so my primary concern is to ensure that NASLite presents those features without complications and minimize the potential for data loss.

That’s all…