NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:02 pm 

I have several DVD backups from DVD Decrypter. Each creates an ISO file approx 7GB in size +/-. I want to be able to save these to a NASLite server and then play them via samba (SMB) to my player. Can I do this or is there some kind of file size limit that would prevent me from doing this?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:16 pm 
jganovsky,

The Floppy version of naslite has a 4gb smb limt, but all current versions of Naslite+ and Naslite+ usb support file sizes larger then 4gb so you will be fine with your *iso.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:26 pm 

You can do this easily :) but I shrink or compress them first any of the free downloadable dvd compressing packages available will do I use dvd shrink or dvd2one a google search should give you some results, pm me if you can't find them and I'll see what I can do :wink: Compress them to about 4.5 gb, the quality is still there and they take up less room and youcan copy them across quicker, I watch mine streamed onto a 42" plasma which is not very forgiving of poor quality feeds so I know the compressed files will still be great quality.

A couple of other things to bare in mind, experiment with the player software, the best free one is Vlc media http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ it'll play anything you throw at it, try also decrypting your movies as .vob files they seem more compatible with things like mce2005. And if you get problems streaming then the chances are the NASbox is struggling, my NASbox has a modernish m/board and processor but more importantly it can transfer the data at UDMA100 speeds, I also run a gigabit network. Streaming normal dvd files should work fine, I have some high def ones and they can still struggle, hopefully vers 2.0 with SATA will sort that out. Good luck 8)

Post subject: this may help
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 10:50 pm 

i use beyond media and play is awsum

http://forums.snapstream.com/vb/showthread.php?t=29074