NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 3:03 am 
This is a sales question for the Server Elements people really:

I *was* on the brink of buying some version of NASLite+ but I'm not sure if I'll be able to get the USB version to work with the hardware and technical knowledge I have. The CD booting version seems a safer buy. Is there a 'oops' option to swap versions (at no cost) if I can't get the USB version to work?

And now I'm reading about the v2 release ... how long and how much ?? What to do !! what to do !!

Advice please ?

- Chris

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:54 am 
Hi locc2,

I may be able to help you, With the USB the only real problem you may encounter is whether your motherboard will boot the USB device.
Some motherboards support this, But also some will not, but all is not lost there is a kicker floppy disk that may boot the USB. if the kicker can see the usb device then everything should be ok. i have a kicker disk you can try if you can see the usb device then you should be ok.

i'd say the usb version is better then the CD one as the usb version will free up a IDE channel for another hard drive.
but if you are worried about setting up the usb go for the cdrom version.
but remember people here are willing to help you and do there best to get you up and running.

now version v2 as there is not a lot of info regarding it its hard to say when it will be out, it's likey to be a beta version as stated on this forum and some things may not work as planned but then again they might.
the question is would you want to place your data at the hands of a beta program? and who knows how long it will take before the product is ready.

So my advice to you is buy version the usb or cdrom that suits you most and wait until the beta is ready.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:20 am 
Thank you edeng for your reply .... I discovered that the kicker disk you spoke of is now (recently) included in the download of the NASLite+USB package. So your reply and generally helpful tone helped me go ahead and buy and download the USB version today.

I've cut the CD and formatted a flash card but but have to wait to tomorrow to try it in the target system ...

I still wish I'd had an answer from ServerElements about swapping versions - I'd asked the same question in a direct 'contact us' communication mid week but didn't get any response. But I still became a customer and in a way the self-supporting nature of these forums did what they were supposed to do. Thank you.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:29 am 

I wish they did honor an exchange program like you describe locc2, I'd tell them it didn't work and get the usb version for free, save me $20, and even better I don't have to drive back to the store to return anything!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:26 am 
Site Admin

locc2 / MotorCityKid

Server Elements makes all efforts to ensure that the software products we sell are fully documented. In addition, free evaluation floppies, providing a basic feel of the NASLite server line as well as an active forum should provide sufficient research facilities for one to determine if and which NASLite is the proper tool for their need. If one intends to experiment or operate multiple NASLite servers, then the Server Suite should provide a good starting point.

We have structured our facilities in such a way with the primary purpose of keeping the cost of our products to an absolute minimum. It is a dangerous precedence for an entity such as Server Elements to allow the exchange, return or reissue of licensed downloadable software products. This is not only true with Server Elements, but also most if not every software vendor that offers electronic downloads.

Anyway, I hope that you understand and respect our position.