NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Server Crashed?
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:46 am 

I installed NAS lite+ on a compaq presario 500Mhz processor 256M of ram. Brand new 80gig hard drive.

Worked fine, prefectly even. I was very impressed.

Then i proceeded to copy about 20gigs of stuff on to it from some older hard drivers. (via another computer on the network). The copy took a while but it worked fine.

Then had some files open on it via the wireless laptop. After about 2 hours i noticed the nas server had gone offline. I checked all the other computers, tried to telnet to it. NO response. Tried to ping it. No response.

The server looked to be on, power was on, but no response.

I restarted the server, and it came back up just fine.

What happened? I need it to be up and STAY Up. Very important.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:21 am 

I had this happen a lot with NASlite+ I think it is to do with the speed the drives are accessed, my old board only supported dma66 and it happened if I was transferring large files,you get an error about too much work at interrupt. :( I have had a new motherboard and processor in mine since xmas and it hasn't "crashed" since, even transferring a 22gb high def movie, new board supports ultra dma 100. I have a monitor connected permanentely to my NASbox becasue of this problem, I wanted to see what had happened, your right at first glance everything does seem fine but the pc has frozen so only a power button restart will work.
My only suggestion is maybe upgrade to a board that supports ultra dma 100 I used a new MSI K4M board and an AMD XP2400+ processor about £75 from ebuyer but I'm sure any more up to date board will work
Best of luck
Wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:30 am 
Wilbur is right,

Naslite is stable and reliable ( in my case ). A lot of problems people have are mostly down to hardware problems, as naslite brings back to life these machines some being old, the hardware could be failing and if the machine was to be running win95 etc it might crash often and be troublesome.

As you have a number of computers could the nas and another pc have the same ip.

http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 4d9f7f56fa

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:31 pm 

It's not file transfering that's causing the issue. I restarted the server this morning, went away for a bit, and now i'm back 2 hours later and it's crashed again.

I didn't even use it period. No files have been transferred. There are no IP address conflicts. I set my router to reserve the IP address that it's using.

Still it crashes. This is a big deal. I have no other old computers to use it on. IF this isn't going to work i'm going to have to go out and get some hard ware to handle it.

So my new questions are:

1. Why isn't it working? Is there something i can do to make it stay online without crashing?

2. Is there any other NAS software out there that I could try or is NASlite the only one?

3. Will NASlite give me my money back if this won't work for me?

4. What about hard ware? I tried the Netgear SC101, and that had problems, now i'm trying NASlite, that has problems.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:34 pm 

Just plugged a monitor into the NASlite+ box, the main screen is there asking me to login, but the keyboard isn't responding.

Are there any error logs or anything that might tell me what is going on here?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:50 pm 

ok an update:

restarted with the monitor on and noticed it took forever to mount disk 1, it said there was a problem with the filesystem, but eventually mounted it anyways and started the server.

I then ran a disk check on disk 1, (From the storage configuration menu), and it ran thru did it's thing, i restarted, and it mounted disk1 very quickly and gave no file system errors.

Could that have been the problem?

I think i had an IP conflict the very first time it went down. I fixed that, but maybe it caused a file system issue which messed up the system. Possible?

I'll report back if this thing crashes again.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:53 pm 

DAMMIT!!!

it crashed again.. i didn't even use it!! that the hell is going on here!! PLEASE HELP ME!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:48 pm 
Site Admin

If the software has a problem with your hardware, it will kick and complain before dying. That will produce readable output on your screen that will allow you to troubleshoot intelligently. If your machine is just dying, locking up without apparent reason, then the problem is most definitely hardware related and the software has no control over the collapse of its environment.

The problem can be caused by a number of things, but in my opinion, the most likely, in order, are Heat, RAM, BIOS Settings, CPU, Power, Motherboard, and Peripherals. Each machine has it’s own issues and fine-tuning requirements, so you’ll have to do some homework.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:46 pm 

Well i had this computer up and running with XP. .using it as a server that way. It stayed up and running just fine, but was slow as all heck. So i tried your software.

I just went out and got myself a buffalo 160GB linkstation and it's working fine.

I had really hoped your software would have worked on my computer but I guess not. That's ok, and i'm sure it works fine on other computer, must be something about old compaqs and it's bios.. (bios has no options for turning things off)

if you guys can refund me that would be great.