NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 6:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Any news on vers 2.0?
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:34 am 

Cmon Tony when you gonna release some more info on Vers 2.0? :wink:

You've set the forums up so I 'm guessing we're close to a BETA release.

Are you in a position yet to post a confirmed list of what you've added, some pricing info and a time scale as to when its gonna be available? 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 5:59 am 
Site Admin

It's still a little to early to post any information :)

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised with the new product line, and the new features.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 1:44 pm 

well someone was going to ask so it mught as well be me :)

just purchased Naslite+ (ok so it doesnt work with my hardware but thats another story).

Will i be required to purchase Naslite + V2.0 all over again?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:59 am 
Wilbur,

I reckon we will see SATA support, and Raid. And Gateway! i bet you 10 pounds! oh and some media support.

Or will there be two versions one supporting media?

AND a version of windows update Nalite update, hehe

Come teasing us with little bits of info Tony / Ralph.

And one for Tony / Ralph, You achieved what you wanted with Nalite, a simple easy to use NAS server software. that brought life back to old machines and put them back in to service.

The question is where do you see yourself going with V2 is there a ultimate goal?

And one more, I am interested to know how nalite was born, a bit of history on it would be a good read.

Cheer Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:24 pm 

Hello All,

I dont understand what you would use a gateway for? I understand that it is used for interconnecting to networks ie..my home network to the internet.

Am I totally off track here? Would you want to connect your nas box to the internet? And if you did you would need a dedicated IP address wouldnt you other wise you would struggle to find it (short of seeing what your allocated IP was for a given day and changing that as needed)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 1:28 am 

I know it would allow you to access the NASLite via VPN if you had one setup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:27 am 

Adrian Fischer wrote:
Hello All,

I dont understand what you would use a gateway for? I understand that it is used for interconnecting to networks ie..my home network to the internet.

Am I totally off track here? Would you want to connect your nas box to the internet? And if you did you would need a dedicated IP address wouldnt you other wise you would struggle to find it (short of seeing what your allocated IP was for a given day and changing that as needed)

Hi Adrian,

Part of my backup procedure for my business network is to have off site backup copies, at the moment I use tape drives and we physically take the tapes off the premises each day, but imagine if I could FTP off my business network and backup remotely to the NASbox at my home, it can do backups every night at "stupid oclock" so as not to slow the network down at either end and will do it every night whether I'm at home or at work or even in the country. :)

I can also offer an offsite backup facility for anybody who I trust that requires it, some close friends of ours do dvd backups which I store at my house and they store ours at their house, digital pictures and home video etc. but if he could FTP my NASbox and I can FTP his we can do immediate backups offsite once a week/day whatever of everything we want to.

As more and more people get digital photos and camcorder footage safe secure offsite backups are a must, I have a backup copy of some video of my friends son's first steps, if he gets burgled and they nick his pc or god forbid they have a house fire at least we have copies of their families important memories and events. Anyone with photos or video stored on a pc should at the very least make a disk copy and take it to their mom's/ friends/ brothers etc, anywhere away from your house. :wink: Don't think it'll never happen :roll: cos at some point it will and you'll loose something important and ireplaceable.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 6:08 am 
Adrian Fischer wrote:
And if you did you would need a dedicated IP address wouldnt you other wise you would struggle to find it (short of seeing what your allocated IP was for a given day and changing that as needed)

You could use a DNS service http://www.dyndns.com/

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 7:28 am 

Adrian Fischer wrote:
Hello All,

I dont understand what you would use a gateway for?

It would allow your NAS to be placed on a DMZ so your firewall could control acces to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 10:58 pm 

Hi all,

Fro manother topic, I think this information may prove useful (gotta love cross-postings).

(quoting Tony from the thread located at http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 4b40ded45a)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nice try

Let's keep in mind that the primary purpose of NASLite is to be a NAS server. Tentatively, among other improvements, NASLite-2 "may" include:

- Support for IDE/SATA/USB/FireWire attached fixed disks
- Support for multiple IDE/SATA/USB/FireWire controllers
- Support for LOTS of drives (If you can interface and power them, then NASLite can mount, configure and export them )
- Support for ext2 and ext3
- Rsync exports
- ACPI power support
- Much improved autoconfiguration process
- Much improved and expanded Info interface
- Lots of new configuration options
- Lots of tweaks
- Lots of new code
- A bunch more...

There is a lot of new code that needs attention, and may not even make it in the initial release. Again, this is all tentative, so please take the above list loosely.

UPnP support will not be built into NASLite, but is being handled by another Server Elements product currently in development.

That's all I can share at this time. Thanks for asking Wilbur
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully that gives people some more hope. I must admid I'm keen to see what ver 2.x delivers...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 1:39 am 

I'd like to know about the version upgrade cost. If I buy NASLITE+ v1.x now, will I have to pay again for v2.0?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 3:54 am 
Site Admin

Existing licensed users will qualify for the discount pricing on the new version line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:47 am 
timmay,

I missed that post, don't know how.

I see no mention of Raid sadly. or a gateway.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:38 pm 
Site Admin

Hello everyone,

There appear to be 3 specific issues that seem to be exciting people, so I’ll try to present our views regarding default gateway, user management and RAID as they pertain to NASLite.

NASLite-2 will include a default gateway option.

NASLite-2 may include support for “HARDWARE” RAID.

NASLite-2 will not include user management support.

Following is an explanation:

NASLite is not an “installed” operating system like Windows, or conventional Linux. It’s more like a Live-CD, where it automatically discovers the available resources at boot time. That makes NASLite portable, so one can boot it anywhere and share any NASLite disk at any time via any one of the available export protocols. One can add and remove disks at will. Think of a NASLite disk as large removable media one can take and share via other NASLite servers without hassle.

Alternately, let’s assume that a particular server has 3 disks in RAID-5 with a number of unique users that normally connect to that server and therefore have dedicated user accounts on it. Since the disks are a fixed part (RAID) of that server and the files contained on those disks hold permissions specific to those users, portability is no longer an option. In addition to a mandatory, hardware-specific install and configuration, the tools necessary to administer users, software RAID and alike will knock the “Lite” right out of NASLite.

We at Server Elements recognize the need for a fully capable server OS with software RAID support and user management facilities. We are working towards providing a solution of that level, but that is a totally different product, intended for a totally different target user.

There are some compromises that will be addressed by NASLite-2 such as RW, RO and DISABLE options for pertinent services as well as some other items that will provide some access control without compromising portability. Also, there is a good possibility that NASLite-2 will support hardware RAID controllers for the folks that find the need and are willing to expend the finances for the necessary hardware. Hardware RAID is usually fully managed by the RAID card BIOS and does not require any utility support from the NASLite OS. For folks whose concern is data redundancy rather than fault-tolerance, NASLite-2 will also export it’s drives via rsync, making remote mirroring and backups possible.

I hope that this clarifies our position on RAID and user management and justifies our current approach with NASLite-2. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:26 pm 
Tony,

Thanks for the info, the gateway option will please everyone I am sure.
For me I like naslite because it required no installation, was quick to setup and run. But I dont think portabilty is what naslite is about, with other live-cds you can pick up go around a friends run the cd browse the net write a letter send a email etc, but this is not something you would do with naslite. as you would render the machine useless once you took your naslite with you. and in a server enviroment each nas surly would each have its own copy. So I can't really see why being portable is important.

But in saying that its portability helped me once, was watching a film off my nas the nas died cpu, i pulled the HD connected it to my other pc booted the cd and was watching the film in under 5 mins. But I cant see me doing this much.

I am not knocking nasite its great and I look forward to test driving V2

Eden