NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 6:35 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
For me I like naslite because it required no installation, was quick to setup and run. But I dont think portabilty is what naslite is about, with other live-cds you can pick up go around a friends run the cd browse the net write a letter send a email etc, but this is not something you would do with naslite. as you would render the machine useless once you took your naslite with you. and in a server enviroment each nas surly would each have its own copy. So I can't really see why being portable is important.

I’m referring to portability in terms of data and not the OS itself. I understand that you are not likely to go to your friend’s house with your NASLite CD, but you are likely to go to your friends house with your 300G drive full of movies, which you can watch on his HDTV served by his NASlite server. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:08 pm 
Tony wrote:
NASLite is not an “installed” operating system like Windows, or conventional Linux. It’s more like a Live-CD, where it automatically discovers the available resources at boot time. That makes NASLite portable, so one can boot it anywhere and share any NASLite disk at any time via any one of the available export protocols. One can add and remove disks at will. Think of a NASLite disk as large removable media one can take and share via other NASLite servers without hassle.

I misunderstood, I thought you ment the OS.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:42 pm 

Why not adding a simple user authentication to the NASLITE package? Just one account in additional to the root account. You can set password for that account. Maybe an Option to Turn it On/Off. To me, this is so useful if this feature is included in Version 2.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:33 am 

Hi Tony,

Thanks for the detailed response. Good to see you are developing the product centred around simplistic required based on user needs. :-)

For me, i'm really looking for redundancy from a NAS, therfore my ears pricked up when i heared rsync mentioned. Ideally Hardware RAID would be nice, but you could achieve the same purpose bu ysing 2 NASLite boxen, one as the primrary and one acting as a mirror. Would hate to see my power bill if I added another Server to the farm :-(

Still, I'll want and see what happens. By far, you are still offering the most competitive domestic /SOHO NAS solution around. Keep up the good work.

T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 9:48 am 

hi Toni

another stupid question?
I got my system working fine, but my 4 drives are almost full of dvd's.
I'd like to add a raid card to add 4 more drives, ( not to mirror ), just need the space.
My question is should I go to the basement and build another old comp, or are you almost ready....lol
like I said sorry for the stupid question....buy the way my unit been running for a while without a glitch, thanks again for a great product.

bill p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:10 am 
Site Admin

Not a stupid question at all Bill - well, impatient maybe, but not stupid :)

NASLite-2 will support more drives than the 4 you have now. Considering that NASLite-2 is not yet available, you can temporarily use a second NASLite server with 4 more drives. Once NASLite-2 is out, you can put all 8 drives into a single NASLite-2 server and resume business as usual.

Hope that helps ;-)

Post subject: impatient yes
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2006 10:38 am 

sorry about that
my media streaming system runs so good that I get that way.
I just bought a 36" LCDHD tv in november...already upgrading to A 50"
so your right :lol:

bill p