NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:22 pm 

I just wanted to post the following because, either I really missed the boat on the USB version with the kicker disk or a lot of people could be using it that might not think it would work for them.

I have been following the USB version and kicker floppy discussion with great interest, and finally tried it on an old Compaq box with USB on the motherboard but that can't boot from USB. I thought I would try the kicker disc. I didn't work ...

As part of my troubleshooting, I saw a few people of talked about adding a PCI USB card to solve their problems. I tried that, but to no avail. I turned out to be the USB key that was the problem. I tried my trusty Lexar key and it worked like a charm ... but then, the light went on in my head !

Why not place that USB PCI card in my current NAS Lite box running the CD-ROM + version, and use the kicker disk and USB key ? This would allow me to use the fourth IDE spot for a fourth drive instead of the CD drive !

I placed the USB PCI card in an ancient PII 233 mhz MMX box, used the kicker floppy - it found the PCI card and booted off the kicker floppy, running NAS Lite + off the USB key. I promptly removed the CD drive and replaced it with a fourth hard drive. WOW !

You can use a old computer WITHOUT USB on the motherboard with NAS Lite + USB. An add-on USB PCI card and the kicker floppy was all that was needed.

Maybe its just me, but I has always thought that the USB version would be for motherboards with on-board USB only.

Just wanted to say this is brilliant !

(PS) I am quite thrilled to see the version 2.0 section in the forum ... I can't wait to see it unlocked and the first couple of postings from Tony !!! :P
[/b][/i]