NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pre-Purchase Queries
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 3:51 pm 

Hello all,

Firstly I'd like to say how impressed I have with NASLite, i've tried it on an old Dell Optiplex machine and was very impressed. Great work guys!

Now, onto my questions :)

1. I'll be moving my existing disks (Both PATA and SATA) to my NAS box, they already have data on. Will NASLite detect them, see they have an ext3 filesystem and just create the relevant mount points and samba shares ? I really don't want to be transfering data somewhere else, add the disk to NASLite and then move the data back.

2. How are updates to NASLite managed ? For example, if I were to install NASLite and an update were made avaliable, would I need to re-install NASLite ? - I guess the basis of this is, will the config files be backwards compatible ?

3. (Now here's why I posted in the "NASLite+ for USB Flash" forum). I'd ideally run NASLite+ on a CF card using a IDE->CF bridge. I guess i'd basically write the image straight to the CF card and hope for the best. Assuming the CF bridge works in Linux (not brought it yet) everything would be fine and dandy ? - Anyone tried this ?

4. There was an, erm (thinks how to word this), unusual topic. Has the root account been disabled in 2.x ? (Persumably it'd make more sense to just use the root account instead of creating an admin account in 2.x?)

5. Is there any chance of getting a telnet/ssh login option in NASLite 2.x ? - I'm a fairly advanced linux user, I hate the idea of not being able to login and tweak things myself :)

Thanks guys, I eagerly await your reply :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 4:22 pm 
Hi Dave,

you wont be able to use the SATA HD on naslite+ as its not supported.
and you would need to re-install naslite when a new update is out. the config file on the usb would be re witten and to be honest the config file does not hold a lot of data, not worth worrying about. you would be much better of running naslite+ on the usb, one its easy to install and two it frees up a ide channel for another Hard disk! ;-) and if it dont boot from usb you can try the kicker disk, you may have some success, you could try one of the kickers i have and then see if it sees your flash usb.
and version 2 is not out yet, looks like the site is getting prepared for a release soon! heres hoping.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:08 pm 

Thanks edeng.

Any ideas for questions #1,#4 and #5 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 6:19 pm 
Hi Dave,

As far as question 1, goes my knowledge of linux is nil so i dont know. never tried it. 4, I don't have any info on v2 so will have to wait until its out, but the root and admin is one of the same in naslite+. 5. i am sure it will still have telnet but again will have to wait until its released.

just keep coming back I am sure it will be ready soon.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:08 am 

Bump

Any chance of one of the developers responding to the unanswered bits of my post ? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 10:48 am 
Site Admin

Hello dave,

Quote:
1. I'll be moving my existing disks (Both PATA and SATA) to my NAS box, they already have data on. Will NASLite detect them, see they have an ext3 filesystem and just create the relevant mount points and samba shares ? I really don't want to be transfering data somewhere else, add the disk to NASLite and then move the data back.

For IDE drives, this is not a problem except there will be permission issues. All user files on a NASLite server are GID=98 UID=98, so you’ll have to handle that prior. Currently NASLite 1.x does not offer SATA support.

Quote:
2. How are updates to NASLite managed ? For example, if I were to install NASLite and an update were made avaliable, would I need to re-install NASLite ? - I guess the basis of this is, will the config files be backwards compatible ?

NASLite does not get upgraded in the classical sence since it is not really installed. It runs off of external media (CD-ROM, USB, etc.), all you have to do is boot the new release and you are set.

Quote:
3. (Now here's why I posted in the "NASLite+ for USB Flash" forum). I'd ideally run NASLite+ on a CF card using a IDE->CF bridge. I guess i'd basically write the image straight to the CF card and hope for the best. Assuming the CF bridge works in Linux (not brought it yet) everything would be fine and dandy ? - Anyone tried this ?

There will be configuration problems with the CF approach since NASLite looks for a specific device. You’ll still need a floppy or an USB device to save the config. In addition, an IDE CF will not be protected by the admin utility so one can easily “kill” the OS by formatting the CF drive for storage. A better approach in my opinion is to mount a USB Flash drive inside the case and boot that way.

Quote:
4. There was an, erm (thinks how to word this), unusual topic. Has the root account been disabled in 2.x ? (Persumably it'd make more sense to just use the root account instead of creating an admin account in 2.x?)

It is not possible to make manual configuration changes other than the ones made available by the admin utility.

Quote:
5. Is there any chance of getting a telnet/ssh login option in NASLite 2.x ? - I'm a fairly advanced linux user, I hate the idea of not being able to login and tweak things myself Smile

Telnet will get you into the administration menu.