NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 7:05 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 9:58 am 

Hi, I'm a noob :oops: but I do have a lot of old computers lying around and plenty of free CAT5 ports.

Using them as NAS servers definitely appeals and the ability to setup such a device in the cellar at home does too.

As far as I can tell I can spend money to buy NASLite+ but I can't see anyway of testing it or evaluating it short of downloading warez?? Am I missing something?

I believe I am right in understanding the money buys me 5 downloads or 6 months, but can I then use it on as many PCs as I have or is it a per computer cost?

Thanks in Advance

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:03 am 

If you have Linux installed on one of the PC's you can make the NASLite floppy version, then you can evaluate it using that for free. Directions for this are on the NASLite page. The performance of the floppy only version is less than the NASLite+ version, but it will let you see how NASLite works. I was also able to make the floppy under dos using a bunch of different tools to format the floppy to a bigger size and write the image, but it was a pain.

You can install the floppy only version of NASLite (not the + version) on as many computers as you want.

This statement on the NASLite+ page should answer your last question.
"If you wish to use NASLite+ simultaneously on multiple computers, multiple copies of the ISO or the CD-ROM must be purchased from Server Elements."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 2:08 am 

From my perspective, NASlite isn't _that_ expensive and I was happy to spend AUD $25AUD for my only licence. Since then I ahve not looked back. freenas is still in alpha testing mode, the netgear SC101 is riddled with problems and basically I have not found anything that can match NASlite.

If my opinoin is enough to convince you to buy a licence, then I'd highly recommend it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:46 am 

I've had a Netgear SC101 for a month and returned it. You can see my numerous posts on their forum, including two Stickies.

I bought NASLITE+ and am running it on an old 700MHz CPU with 256MB SDRAM and it beats everything in sight! It is almost embarassing :)

I am currently testing a Yellow Machine Terabyte NAS with RAID 5 and I am loving it, however the NASLITE+ (non RAIDed) runs up to 3 times faster!

I just wish that a software raid feature was added to NASLITE+ otherwise it is perfect.

We recently had power outages (4 in 5 hrs) and I thought that my NASLITE+ box was on the UPS circuit, but due to my mistake it was plugged into an unprotected outlet. When I restarted it it got "stuck" on the first HDD access, (I had 2x 200GB installed). So I left it to its own devices. When I next looked at it on my KVM about an hour later, it had completely fixed its OS, with no action from me.

I am MOST impressed, and can recommend it to everyone, provided you accept its implementation limits: i.e. no user level security or RAID.

THANKS TONY!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:47 am 
nathanbriggs,

If you download Knoppix live CD you can boot this and then create your Nas disk following the comands posted on this website, Naslite section.

i'd suggst purchasing Naslite+ its well worth the money. or wait for v2.

pszilard,

UPS support would be nice, and more important when running raid. should we see it in v2? mine is plugged in to one but only gives me 10 mins.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:41 pm 

Thanks for all your replies, it never occurred to me to use Knoppix to generate the floppies don't know why.

As for 10 minutes on UPS assuming you've tested it that is fine for 99.999% of UK households which experience less than 5 minutes of unexpected outtages a year. If you don't have a good supply then I can sell you a UPS with extensions up to 12 hours about those I am not a N00b!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 4:55 am 

I am really hanging out for RAID 5. I know Tony doesn't want to support heaps of h/w raid adaptors so I would suggest to do it in s/w raid.

I am agonising on whether or not to buy the Yellow Machine. It is slightly dearer than building the equivalent h/w, but it is small footprint and silent and has a supported NAS OS.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 9:44 am 
pszilard,

How are you finding the Yellow Machine? is it glan?
Raid 5 is perfect. on the YM is it hardware or software?

Eden