NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Kicker Won't Kick
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:20 pm 

I tried to bring up a second NASLite Server using the Kicker Disk and a USB Flash Drive (new Lexar 128mb - identical to the one in my other NASLite box). It's a 1999 vintage Sony Vaio 96mb Ram, and already working with NASLite CD-Rom. Made the kicker disk fine ... programmed the flash drive as a super-floppy, using the Sony PC. Set the Bios to boot from floppy - powered off the Sony - kicker and flash drives in place - power up ... kicker can't find the USB flash drive any longer. Stopped.
Any ideas ... ? Stumped.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:23 pm 

Just a thought but have you enabled the USB in the bios? I had to disable USB 2.0 support too although I would imagine a '99 vintage might not have USB 2.0.
Also maybe try a different USB port.

Good luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 7:45 pm 

Thanks Wilbur ... yup, bios has USB enabled, and I did try a different port ... as I said the USB Flash utility found the USB Drive to set it up, but the kicker won't - and I re did the kicker disk 3 times - go figure?
ps. I don't often comment much, but I do enjoy reading your posts ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 4:37 am 

Grumpa,

I reformatted my kicker disk twice, I just wasn't happy with the noises and way the software loaded to the floppy the first time, it just didn't seem right, so I re did it.
Ok silly question and please excuse me for asking but on bitter experience I have often found the most basic things get overlooked when searching for a solution to a difficult problem, I once spent 2 hours with a friend trying to figure out why the dvdr/w drive in his very expensive media pc that I'd nailed together for him wouldn't work after we had added some extra SATA drives, searched the net, e-mailed the drive mnfct anyway eventually discovered some complete muppet, namely yours truly, had forgotten to plug the power cable back into the dvd drive after we'd took it out to get at HDD :oops: Anyway I digress that silly question - is the floppy drive in your NASbox working ok? Might just be worth swapping it out and changing the cable :wink:
Thanks for the compliment, this is one of the most pleasant, friendly and helpful forums out there, a real community spirit over a shared interest from the US across Europe to Australia, and I enjoy being a party to it 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 7:50 am 

Wilbur (et al): Floppy is fine. In fact is back working in the CD-ROM version of NASLite. The thing that bothers me is, the Kicker Utility was able to find and format the USB Drive, but then the Kicker Disk (I assume) couldn't find it to boot. Doesn't make sense. Maybe Tony would weigh in on this oddity. Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:05 am 

Grumpa,
Agreed, If all the hardware is sound then it's time for Tony to take a look I'll bow out gracefully and stand a side for people with more knowledge than I have as to what the problem could be :? It's frustrating when you've checked all the hardware and you still have a problem, not often this happens with Naslite though I have to say most bugs I've seen reported end up being hardware based. It sounds like Tony might need to take a look at some of your system logs etc :(
I hope you get it sorted out, I have been really impressed with the change from NASlite+ to the USB version :) mind you I haven't had a problem with mine so I suppose I would be impressed wouldn't I :wink:
Best of luck with sorting it out.
Wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 11:12 am 
Hi Grumpa,

What I would try is, on the PC that works with the naslite USB use the other Flash USB and setup a superfloppy on this PC set it to boot from Floppy and see if it will actually boot the flash USB. This will confirm that it is actually working correctly. if it boots then remove the items and try on the other pc.
in the meantime i'll think about this problem see what else I can come up with.

Best of luck

Eden

Post subject: Success ... kind of.
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:01 pm 

Edeng: Good call to try another PC. I found that even though I could configure the USB Flash Drive via the USB 1.1 ports, the Kicker Disk could only boot it from my USB 2.0 ports - what's up with that? For the record this is a new Lexar Jump Drive 128mb PD128-00-522, which says it is backward compatible to 1.1 - and it is since it was configured that way. I ended up using another Lexar USB 2.0 Jump Drive (older version) and that did the trick - up and running. Now the questions are obvious - why did it configure but not boot? And is this an anomoly or a problem just surfacing with new Lexar Jump Drives ... because it rules out use on older USB 1.1 systems.
Edeng: Thanks for the ideas, and again thanks Wilbur.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:26 pm 

I have exactly the same problem (kicker wont find USB Flash drive).

USB Utility finds and installs on the USB flash drive perfectly. I have tried every combination of BIOS settings and USB setting. Since it is an old Compaq Deskpro 400MHZ the BIOS has only a few settings anyway.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but i believe i have exactly the same problem.

I am willing to bug find/test anything that needs done.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:33 pm 
Grumpa,

Well I am happy the nas is running, and it is strange that the new version was seen but would fail to be boot up via the kicker disk.

your lucky you had a spare flash usb to test otherwise you would be still scratching your head.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:42 pm 

Edeng & Fat: I just inserted a spare USB 2.0 card, and the Kicker Disk found and booted the USB Drive it couldn't find in the MOBO's USB 1.1 ports. I've succeeded in adding to my own confusion. I hate a fix that doesn't explain anything.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:43 pm 
fat wrote:
I have exactly the same problem (kicker wont find USB Flash drive).

USB Utility finds and installs on the USB flash drive perfectly. I have tried every combination of BIOS settings and USB setting. Since it is an old Compaq Deskpro 400MHZ the BIOS has only a few settings anyway.

Not meaning to hijack the thread but i believe i have exactly the same problem.

I am willing to bug find/test anything that needs done.

Hi Fat,
I'd like to get to the bottom of this,
Have you tried another Flash USB device? and what USB options do you have in the Bios? Also what is the make of Flash USB.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:44 pm 

Computers eh :lol: what did we do before :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 1:53 pm 

Grumpa wrote:
Edeng & Fat: I just inserted a spare USB 2.0 card, and the Kicker Disk found and booted the USB Drive it couldn't find in the MOBO's USB 1.1 ports. I've succeeded in adding to my own confusion. I hate a fix that doesn't explain anything.

So somewhere there's a conflict in the m/boards USB, eden could the bios be corrupted in some way or would the board just not boot?

It's strange that FAT's had the same problem do the two motherboards have anything in common? like chipset etc.
Out of my depth a bit so just trying to post out load with ideas but it does get more interesting when a) there's two instances and b) a USB card can be the difference between them booting and not. On past posts this is your forte eden :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 2:00 pm 
give me a hour or so, se what i can find out.