NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 4:29 am 

Just upgraded from NASlite+ to NASlite+USB, what a great improvement and such a neat touch with the USB kicker disk, I couldn't find anything on the forum that actually explained what to expect from the kicker disk so I've put down how I did it :wink: if I've made an error or there's a better, quicker way please post your version. I just thought this might help some Noobs to NASlite+USB

My initial problem was Nero hadn't burnt the ISO image correctly so my NASbox wouldn't boot, re did the CD and it works fine.
On my Win XP machine I opened the downloaded image with explorer and opened the Tools folder, then I ran the floppy kicker utility, you need a floppy available, this puts the kickerdisk program onto the floppy. Then I attached the USB stick a generic ebuyer's own, £5.73+p&p
http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=46806
put the cd in and the floppy in. First time you boot from cd and a utility for copying NASlite onto the usb stick starts, follow the instructions, I formatted my USB stick as a superfloppy as per other posts on this forum. When thats done I rebooted, changed the boot device from cd to floppy and the kicker disk program ran. Found USB stick (takes a couple of minutes) it then boots from the USB and loads NASlite, changed network settings put in new licence and saved configuration, rebooted just to be sure and away I went :)
I have a monitor and keyboard attached to my NASbox, and for upgrades and installs you really need to see what's happening, I would assume you could boot any pc to set it up and save to USB stick then just put the floppy and USB on your NASbox. Anyway I hope this is a help to some of you thinking of upgrading to the USB version or building your first NASbox I have now freed up a spare channel on the IDE and as the cd drive in my NASbox was becoming a tad unreliable I can run quite happily. I'll need to attach a different cd drive up when Vers 2.0 arrives, unless Tony has added a network install utility?? 8)
Big thanks to serverelements again for listening to their customers and improving a great idea, the kicker disk just means anyone with a motherboard with USB ports can run NASlite+USB. Thanks to Lusid also who I know had the original idea and did a lot of work in making this version useable and workable :wink: