NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:50 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: BOOT Problem
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 2:30 pm 

Hi all,

Well Im having troubles boting From CD. Im using the following:

PIII 750 w/ 512 meg RAM
1 WD 40 Gig ATA133
1 WD 250 Gig ATA133
1 48 x CD-ROM
1 ATA133 HD Controller Card

Im using Nero Versio 6.6.0.13 to burn the ISO. Ive verifyed that Disk-at-Once is selected and UltraISO reports that the CD is Bootable. However, when I try to boot from it my machine wont even detect it as a bootable image. SO I tried booting an XP disk and whala it was recognized.

Now, Im wondering if maybe the problem is with the HD Controller card that Im using. I have Both Drives on Channel 1 as Master and Slave. On Channel 2 is my CD-ROM. Does NASLite have issues with HD Controller cards?

Any ideas?

THanks,
Aaragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 5:13 pm 

Update:

Well the battle continues. Ive tried using different media (memorex, TDK, Fujitsu, etc) all with the same result. Ive tried booting the CD using a CD-ROM, a CD-RW, and A DVD-R ... no success. It simply wont recognize the disk as bootable. I know that the disk works because its recognized on my primary machine so...

I guess the only thing thats left is to remove that PCI HD Controller card and plug the IDE cables directly to the IDE channels on the MB. I let you know if it works :roll:

Thanks,
Aaragon

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 6:28 pm 

I'm not sure if NASLite+ supports separate PCI HD cards for booting. It may support PCI HD cards for additional drives (I still don't think that it does) but that's an issue for Tony or Ralph to discuss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:42 am 

FINALLY!! :D

So, after many hours of "experimenting" I finally got it to work - well 90% of the way. I had to remove my PCI HD Controller ; in fact NASLite didnt even like my onboard DMA66 controller so one i got all the connections figured out it loaded up fine. The only problem that i have now is TELNETing. I cant seem to get it to work. Here the syntax im using:

telnet 192.168.15.101

I can ping that IP and everythings good - no packet loss. But whenever I try to TELNET in it says "INVALID COMMAND". Additionally, I dont see that box when I view my router DHCP clients table. That seems odd to me but ill tackle that in the morning.

If anyone has a hint as to im doing wrong with TELNET, id appreciate a clue. :?

LAter,
Aaragon