NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:39 am 

Hi,

I have recently begun using NASLite+having read lots about it.

The principal and the implementation are great. Unfortunatly I am having a few problems.

Whenever I access one of my attached disks using XP (Home) the connecitons is dropped after a short time. It can sometimes be restored by opening Windows explorer.

There doesn't seem to be any specific pattern either - I have been backing up my pc using Norton Ghost onto a NAS drive and all wroks well until the connection is dropped after 20 mins or so.

I have not had the opportunity to post the sys-log yet, will do so later. But in the meantime the NAS server I am using is running on an old Pentium PC (133Mhz IIRC) 128MB ram, all onboard peripherals except IDE are disabled, 20GB HD.

Cany onyone offer any suggestions?

thanks

Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 7:10 am 

Update:

Bit of further background. The NAS box is connected to a router by a cable, my laptop is usually connected wirelessly. Having read other posts I tried things out with my laptop connected by cable, still the same problem.

As an example I tried copying a 400MB file to the NAS - stopped after about 40MB - although if I constantly pinged the NAS box it did manage to copy the file in the end?!?!?!

Weird eh?

Any ideas?

thank
Lewis

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 25, 2005 4:53 am 

Lewis:

A few questions to narrow things down ...

To make sure ... Are you using the FREE version (NASLite) or NASLite+ ? ( I had some WindowsXP issues on the Free version which went away after buying NASLite+USB. )

Have you looked at SYSTEM log ("System.htm") ? Check to see if there are any "errors", "dropped", "overruns" or "frame" in the lines that start with "RX packets" or "TX packets" at the bottom of the log.

Also, look at your NMB_Log and SMB_Log's and if there's anything unusual there, post it here.

What are you using as an ethernert controller ?

Does the HDD SMART status look normal ?

Does the connection get dropped when you copy the file back to the PC ?

:) Georg