NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:42 am 
wpappas,

The voice of reason!

Some people like to pick holes in things, cause a stir. there are right ways to do things and the original post was wrong.

Nice to see some support for the developers for a change in the thread.

Eden

Post subject: just an opinion
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:09 am 

im not a developer nor claim to be but ill tell ya what...
i have a freind that uses a server with microsoft server for buisness 2003
has 8 drives does all kinds of stuff i dont understand.
every day he is buying or repairing or getting rid of stuff that gets in from the internet, it seems he works more than he plays.

now after all the money he put into that system....thousands.

me 20.00 i cant complain.

i dont do much with this system other than backups and dvd streaming,
and since all my stuff is payed for meaning i have the originals, then if a hack wants to hack hes gonna do that.

i just use microsoft as an example...every program has its problems and if it needs to be corrected then the makers of the program will do that.

if they dont, then dont use the product...i dont see anyone throwing out there 3000.00 dollar windows xp server....lol

and as soon as server elements puts out there 2.0 ver.
so i can run 8 drives...then let the hackers have fun with that too...lol

again just an opinion

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am 
Site Admin

It is interesting to see the attention this thread is getting. The 2500 views and climbing is definitely impressive. It also illustrates the stigma of certain words and their respective misuse. The interesting thing about the whole argument is that some people choose to ignore the facts and continue to offer kudos to what I personally take as an attack on my integrity as a developer.

Allow me to quote from the original post:
Quote:
(ps, I hope this isnt something you would do, but just in case, removing this post without explanation will force me to release this information publically so that your customers know what you're doing)

Now allow me to point out that this IS a public forum. Therefore, the damage was done without allowing me to privately explain and/or clarify the content in question. There is nothing noble in such actions. Again, as I mentioned before, I understand the curiosity, but the delivery was malicious and unnecessary.

I’m glad to see people deriving their own conclusions about NASLite and it’s merits.

Post subject: good job Tony
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 12:06 pm 

as far as im concerned this product rules, and i even know people from the snapstream forum that have looked into this.

and as soon as 2.0 ver comes out to do my 8 drives.....running out of dvd room....lol

ill recomend to all as well....

keep up the good work

bill

Post subject: Observation
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 7:32 pm 

I would gladly give my password, IP address, MAC address, kids, wife, job, }{ell I would give both of my NASlite boxes to Tony if he wanted them. Well, maybe not the NASLite boxes! LOL

The point here is this is a great product, Tony and Ralph are excellent developers and I wholly trust both of them sight unseen!

If one is so worried about spyware, stay off the internet, that's the only way you are truly safe!

Kudos Tony and Ralph! Excellent product!

John :roll:

Post subject: DMCA?!?!?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 9:57 pm 

Tony wrote:
There is no law that prohibits the transmission of a license ID and a MAC address in encrypted form via a browser, especially in this context. There is however a law that prohibits the circumvention of anti-piracy measures. It’s called the Digital Millennium Copyright Act...

Wow. I mean, wow. I'm just shocked that someone who makes their living off of OSS in any way, shape, or form would invoke that vile corporate-bought piece of legislation. I really am dumbfounded.

In the ultimate irony, one of the things I use Naslite+ to stream ripped DVDs to my home theater. In order to do this, I had to violate the DMCA to rip the DVDs that I purchased to put them on my server.

Anyway, Naslite+ is a great program and I'm (I think) glad I bought it, but I think maybe I would have thought differently if I'd known the author was a fan of the DMCA.

-M

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

Hello meister,

Normally, I'd opt not to discuss my opinions on legislation, but in this case, I should probably state what my opinion is in order to attempt and correct yous ;-)

I have never made a claim that I am or am not a fan of the DMCA. Stating a fact does not constitute an opinion. Personally, I can take the DMCA or leave it. I am sure that there are cases where the DMCA is warranted as well as cases where it is not. It is probably a mistake to judge a legislation by how corporate layers apply it. Perhaps you should take a look at the Asian bootleg market and the lost benefit to many software houses in the West. Pretty sad if you think about it. You can also present your argument regarding "that vile corporate-bought piece of legislation" to the many small software companies that use it to protect themselves from the likes of big business. It is all relative I suppose ;-)

Anyway, thank you for supporting Server Elements and welcome to the forum.

Post subject: Re: good job Tony
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm 

wpappas wrote:
as far as im concerned this product rules, and i even know people from the snapstream forum that have looked into this.

bill

Oops, been spotted :)