NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: NFS buffer options
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:31 pm 

What is the version of the NFS Server? Is it v3 or v4?

I would like to take advantage of this below: I use 16384 on my network.

rsize=n The number of bytes NFS uses when reading files
from an NFS server.

The default value is dependent on the kernel, currently
1024 bytes. (However, throughput is improved greatly by
asking for rsize=8192.)

wsize=n The number of bytes NFS uses when writing files
to an NFS server.

The default value is dependent on the kernel, currently
1024 bytes. (However, throughput is improved greatly by
asking for wsize=8192.)

I did mount the shares as below:

mount -o rsize=16384, wsize=16384 mynas:/export/Disk-1 /mnt/disk

But I am not sure if the buffers are set just via the client. On
my network I shared out the exports with those buffer
settings then each client mounts with the same settings.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:09 pm 
Site Admin

NFS Server v3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 15, 2006 4:46 pm 

I'd like to join in here: i am mounting an NFS Share on my DVB-box, but i can't get beyond rsize/wsize 8192. For writing (streaming movies) this is no problem, but reading is a bit sloppy sometimes, when it comes to high bitrates...
As i learned elsewhere, this (failure to mount higher than with 8192) has not (only) to do with the nfs version, but with the kernel/nfs-server compilation, will this (mounting with 32k) be possible in a future version?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:47 am 

not to be demanding or anything, but: second time i had a question in this forum - second time there is no answer. :( (the other issue is resolved by now, but this question...well - i cant answer myself...)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:18 am 
Site Admin

In v1.x NFS buffer size will adjust per the client up to a max of 8K. That is a correctable limitation in the kernel. The v2.x releases will support a buffer size of 32K.

Quote:
i cant answer myself

I apologize for the oversight ;-)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:58 pm 

well - that's what i wanted to hear! :D thanks!

...impatiently waiting for v2.xx .... :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:14 pm 

..and while i may have your attention: will it be possible to install NASLite to a fixed drive (yes i saw the thread which does the trick, but i was thinking about a more or less "native" support here...)? because i was going to install a compact flash to ide adapter (these things are really cheap, so are the cards, at least the 128 or 256mb version which should do it, they don't consume much power, they are quite, etc...) and boot from that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:44 pm 

hellacop,

I would also like support for booting from one of the hard drives. Maybe a configuration option -> make bootable from hard drive... or something.

There are a couple of issues though:
1. BIOS has to support the drive. May be a problem with an old BIOS and 250GB drive, the BIOS I'm using for example :cry:
2. Potential for users to accidentally delete NASLite files unless they were put into a seperate partition.
3. NASLite could make a new boot partition, but then you need some partition manager to move existing data which gets complicated. Or ....
4. NASLite deletes everything on the disk, makes new partitions, and loads boot files. You would have to backup and restore all your files.

Some benifits would be:
- can use 4 ide channels - may not be a big deal with version 2
- could put system on multiple drives for redundancy in case main boot drive fails.

I would also like to see an option to put config data on the hard drives. NASLite could look for floppy, if no floppy look on disk-1, then 2, etc. If nothing found assume non-configured system.

Maybe all this is already in version 2 :lol: One can only dream...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:12 pm 
Site Admin

This is all tentative, so please don’t take it face value ;-)

The NASLite-2 product will likely be available in 3 versions as follows:

NASLite-2 CDD - CD-ROM based server very much like NASLite+, but based on the v2 core.

NASLite-2 USB - USB Flash based server very much like NASLite+ for USB Flash, but based on the v2 core.

NASLite-2 HDD - hard disk based version that can be installed to a bootable IDE/SATA device. Since the bootable device may be large, storage on the device will also be possible. That condition will also be handled in the admin interface, so the chance of killing the boot OS will be addressed accordingly. The OS will be installed using a CD-ROM similar to the USB utility CD but designed for an HD or IDE/Flash device.

It’s still early to say for sure, but that’s the target plan as of today. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:56 pm 

@tony: this sounds very good - so you have a go! i'd love to have it fully up and running by yesterday :D :wink:

@smeyer: as tony states killing the os would be taken care of and as for the large drives and the bios: i think this problem may only emerge on the boot drive itself. so if you plan to use a relativly small or old one or (as i do) a CF card which should be fair enough for such a small base system that doesn't matter. the data drive(s) shouldn't be limited by the bios - same as they are not now... (and it's always nice to have data and the os clearly seperated, not only by partitons but also on the hardware side... cause you never know...)

Post subject: BIOS question.
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:50 pm 

Hello:

I have a question. Is it possible for me to burn the NASLite to the BIOS and make the NASLite boot from the BIOS and work? If so, then how would I do it? I have flashed before many times before and have an EPROM burner. Since,(as I understand it) the NASLite does not need the BIOS then would this be possible to do i?. AND if not, could this be something that would be in the coming versions ?

Thanks for your time in this matter,

bitor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2006 5:58 pm 

Your computer BIOS is a very small program that just initializes hardware and then loads the real operating system. It is different for different computers so you couldn't have a common NASLite that would work on all computers. NASLite is also to big to fit in most BIOS ROMs.

NASLite or any other operating system does need the BIOS to start up the computer. NASLite doesn't read the disk size or disk present information from the BIOS, so it can support disks that your BIOS can't.