NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Can't format 4th Drive
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 11:21 am 

I had another unanswered post to start this ... here is where it stands. I pulled a working 160gb drive out of my WXP PC, installed it as the 4th HDD (slave) in my NASLite Server. The drive will not format in any of the IDE0 or 1 slots. (see previous post). I did once format it as ext2 using Paragon software - NASLite did recognize it, booted as the 4th drive, and then didn't like it anymore and removed it (not available). All other drives went in fine ... this is a new MoBo ... the Bios does not have an option to "not install" any if the IDE drives, but the other 3 work fine. Any ideas ... I am lost on this one????

Post subject: I Give Up.
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:24 pm 

I'm no longer lost on why this WD1600BB-00DWA0 160gb HDD will not format in NASLite ... I just give up! 12 hours trying to get it to be the 4th drive on the system is enough. Summary: NASLite cannot format this drive for use ... I get an endless stream of:

hdd: drive not ready for command
hdd: status error: status=0x10 { seek complete }

(it's a never ending "DO LOOP"). I tried every combination possible IDE-0, IDE-1, Master, Slave ... I now have it formated back to NTFS and again works fine ... it was even Ext2 once thanks to Paragon HD Manager, but NASLite didn't like that for long ... can NASLite "not like" a HDD? BTW when you are in one of these "DO LOOPs" there is no way out ... NASLite would not respond to ReBoot, ShutDown, and I don't know if there is a graceful, "fail-safe" way out ... I did the primal thing and powered off - holding my breath about risking 1/2 tb of data.