NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: USB Boot Floppy...
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:08 pm 

Hello everyone, NASLite noob here...

I like the concept of a NAS, and was searching around for an affordable solution, and came across NASLite.

I'm thinking of building a system with four hdd's, but I have a PC which won't boot from USB - no BIOS update available to allow this. This means that if I wanted to use NASLite+ rather than NASLite, I'd need to leave a CDROM drive in the PC which would leave me with only 3 hdd's in the unit.

I'm building this system from left over hard disks ranging from 80-120GB so "buy bigger disks" is not an immediate option.

Seeing as the PC is only UDMA33 capable, and that it would (maybe?) be silly with anything more than a left over 100BaseT net card in it, would I see any benefit in NASLite+ over the floppy based NASLite ?

If so, to boot from a USB disk, would I be able to use a floppy based USB boot loader, such as the one described here for NASLite+ ? Has anyone ever tried this with any success ? I'm no systems noob but fairly new at Linux, so I'm not adverse to trying stuff out.

If you google "USB boot floppy" there are similar myriad of sites with similar ideas, but they all seem specific to a particular Linux OS (Damn Small Linux, Knoppix etc).

Any ideas folks ? Thanks!

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:42 pm 
Hi,

Naslite floppy has a 4GB file limit, Naslite+ and Naslite+ USB do not have this limit.

If you purchase Naslite+ for USB it has a kicker disk that will boot your USB device even if the Motherboard does not support it.
I have a MB that boots the usb so i tried it on one that dont boot usb and the kicker disk worked a treat.

Try out the floppy version see how you get on, but the upgrade is well worth it.

any problems you have post them and I am sure someone will guide you though.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 4:50 pm 

Hi Eden,

Thanks for your response!

It looks like the "kicker disk" as you call it has already been done for NASLite+. I didn't know that - does it state this anywhere ? Looks I did a load of googling for next to nothing then!

Thanks again, I will indeed try out NASLite floppy shortly. :wink:

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:18 pm 
Hi Joe,

As far as I am aware its only mentioned here, http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/vi ... 2b25e6106a

a few threads talk about it,

Remember if you want to use 4 HD's the you will need the USB Version.

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 5:44 pm 

Thanks again Eden,

That's great news - should solve my problem!

I'm actually going to have a play with NASLite floppy with Virtual Server 2005 right now (aparently it's reported to work...).

Then I'll be digging out the old parts (somewhere in the attic...) for the real thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:33 pm 

Another quicky - how big a USB flash disk does one need to install NASLite+ USB onto ? Is 64mb big enough ?

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 7:37 pm 

I use an old 32mb USB drive and it works fine.

BTW... can the USB drive be removed after everything is all booted up and running???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:46 am 

Thanks - I just ordered a few 64mb USB2.0 sticks from ebuyer at just over £5 each - bargain!

Joe

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 9:50 pm 

Quote:
BTW... can the USB drive be removed after everything is all booted up and running???

Yes it can! You can remove that puppy and the system runs just fine since it is loaded from RAM. The only reason you need a USB/Floppy is to write out the configuration files (and to boot from :D ). Other than that the OS is run from memory.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:01 am 
I use a Mp3 player came free with a order i placed. I tested my sons mp3 player and it will not boot no matter what i do, so its a bit of trial and error with mp3 players.

Eden