NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2005 5:22 pm 

The option to disable SMART status monitoring doesn't appear on my Configure Storage Disks subment (option 4) as described on page 7 of the NasLite+ V1.X User Manual. Since my disk does not support SMART, and I condemmed to listen to this infernal beeping every few minutes?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

what version of NASlite are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 14, 2005 9:35 pm 

NasLite+ V1.1

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 11:03 am 
Site Admin

v1.4 is current with v1.5 just around the corner. The option you are looking for was added in v1.2

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 12:24 pm 

Hi Tony,

Now you've done it :wink:

So what does Vers 1.5 have in store for us?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 1:29 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
So what does Vers 1.5 have in store for us?

Nothing exciting really - just a service release. Mostly cosmetic changes and code cleanup.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 3:44 pm 
wilbur,

I was all excited as well, was hoping there was another feature to play with. hope its out soon.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 4:49 pm 

eden,

Tony must be almost frightened to announce anything new 'cause we're jumping straight in with the what we got, what we got questions :lol:

Cmon Tony its been 3 weeks since the last release have't you got us something new to play with yet :D :wink: :D

We're only kidding, keep up the good work guys 8)

cheers
wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:57 pm 
Wilbur,

Refering to my post about me losing data because I selected the wrong drive to format, I'd like a feature that say's "ARE YOU REALLY REALLY REALLY SURE YOU WANT TO FORMAT THIS DISK" y/n then another message pops up and says "THINK ABOUT IT FOR A MIN, YOU STILL SURE YOU WANT TO FORMAT THIS DISK" y/n then another STILL SURE y/n then "OK THEN DONT BLAME ME IF ITS THE WRONG DISK"

only kidding but it made me smile,

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2005 6:13 am 

eden

Windows is great for this, something really important you get the "ok" or "cancel" and if you screw it up all is lost but something stupid like changing the date or the desktop picture will have 3 layers of security and you'll need the administrators password. :)

I don't know if your familiar with SKY+ any UK posters will be, it's a satelite reciever but it has a hard drive in it. It really is very good, very user friendly but the most annoying thing is if you try to delete something you've recorded. The procedure is: press the yellow button on the remote and whatever is highlighted is deleted. How many times have I tried to delete some c&%$py soap episode but the arrow key has jumped to the program below and my unwatched recording of the first part of a double bill CSI special has been scrapped :evil: partly due to me been on auto pilot with the buttons :oops: but mainly because the guy who programmed the software for SKY didn't think you needed to have a "are you sure" just one "are you sure" would have saved much stomping swearing and kicking of nearest items, the dog just gets the hell out of the way whenever I'm trying to tidy up the hard drive :wink:

I think Vers 2 should have a fully embedded operating system with no security loopholes, full media playback with a built in media player, email, internet access, disk management, an office package, default gateway VPN access, print server, multiple disk support, retina scanning password protection be a free upgrade from the $24.95 original payment boot and run from a floppy in 8mb of RAM on my old 486 PC :D What do you reckon :wink:

I mean cmon Tony how hard can it be 8)

Wilbur

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 12:40 pm 
Site Admin

Quote:
I mean cmon Tony how hard can it be

I understand completely ;-)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 8:42 am 

Back to the original thread... The option to turn off SMART status monitoring is not available in my version? You guys didn't anticipate that your users might find this damn beeping ever few minutes annoying? What are my options besides ripping out the speaker or spending another $25 for the latest version? Here's a chance for Server Elements' customer service dept. to kick into gear.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 9:21 am 
Jiml

I take it you have only just purchased Naslite+? if you have you are entitled to a upgrade to the latest version that will have the feature you are talking about.

To get the latest version check your email that you got when you purchased naslite+ follow the link and download it.

eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:22 am 

I purchased NasLite some time ago (more than six months ago, certainly). I no longer have the email with the link. The problem just surfaced when I replaced the hard disk which supported SMART monitoring that I was originally using with a larger hard disk
that does not support SMART monitoring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:59 am 

Try emailing Tony or Ralph to see if you still qualify for an upgrade and if you do then download it and run it.

If your out of time then IMHO NASlite is worth another $25 just to keep up to date. I mean it's $25 with UK exchange rate's that's about £14 which is 1 round of drinks with your mates in the pub or a KFC family bucket and a dvd rental :lol:

Then download the new versions when they are released and save them on your pc, even if you don't burn them to a cd and use them immediatley. At least that way if you do a hardware upgrade and encounter a similar problem you can upgrade to the latest software version to resolve the issue :wink:

Or you could as you say cut the speaker wire and stick with Vers 1.1