NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 6:50 pm 

Greetings all,

I havent bought it yet but it seems to be the answer to what Im after. I was looking at the floppy version but the cd seems to be an easier set up option. My question relates to the cd taking up a space that could be used for a hdd. I would at some point like to have 4 hdd mounted so can I remove the cd once I have Naslite+ installed and put a hdd in its place?

Does it need the cd in to run once you have created the floppy? Or..do I have no idea what I am talking about here?

Look forward to your comments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 12:19 am 

Seems like I may be able to. I just read this from a post by Tony. The thread was about not being able to boot from a cd from earlier this year.

"The NASLite kernel does not access the CD-ROM. Both it and the root filesystem load into memory using BIOS calls, after which it no longer needs access to the CD-ROM. "

so if the system boots from the cd then loads all relevant OS stuff into memory then the cd becomes redundant. So as long as the system is not rebooted there is no requirement to have the cd still connected to the mb. Is this a fair assumption.

Could you not then, when required to reboot, reconnect the cd drive? I would think the advantage of having 4 hdd would outway the dick around factor of having to put the cd drive back in.

Comments?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:11 am 

The only problem I can foresee is how "hot swappable" are IDE drives? I'd be worried about my data if I was plugging and unplugging drives in the case with the power and OS running :roll: Do you need 4 drives yet? I may be wrong but I thought Tony said Vers 2 may have pci IDE controller support so for now wouldn't it be easier and safer to put in some big hdd's maybe 300GB or 400GB and see what other hardware support we get when vers 2 is released?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:17 am 

this assumes that you can hot (while the power is on) remove and then add a hard drive to an IDE bus.... Sorry this is not possible.

You correctly identify that the NAS software gets loaded into memory when the OS boots and is no longer required from the CD, the problem comes if you attempt to change the IDE (cd rom and hard drive) device. The Bios will not recogise it (as this is done at POST (power on self test)) and even if you could get past the POST detection you will notice that the harddrives get detected by the NAS software as it initiliases as well.

The way to have all 4 IDE devices available is to use the NAS USB option but then you have the challenge of older hardware not being able to boot from USB devices.

The other option is to use the CD version and just buy BIGGER DISK. If you want 1TB rather than 4 x 250gb it will just have to be 3x 350gb

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 7:22 am 

Thanks Everyone...It wasnt long after I posted that I realised that you cant hot swap an ide drive. And yest, Im a long way off needing the 4th drive. I think I was being greedy.

I purchcased NASLite + today and its sitting beside me as I type. Its only got a 20 Gb drive at present because that was all there was laying around. It good enough for testing at this stage. Its a P11 500mhz with 128 ram (2 x 64). Dont know the mother board. Im tansfering about 100mb in 3 files over wireless as we speak. Its showing me 7-8% of a 54mbps connection. Umm..is that ok?

Is there a freebie network speed meter out there somewhere?

Any way, again thanks for your feedback. Im looking forward to seeing if I can pursuade the Minister of War and Finance if I can get some decent hardrives. But for now Im happy and will be happier if I can rustle up another small hardrive from the several old ones I have here to do further testing.

Great product..thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 8:58 am 

Adrian

I used a trial version of netmeter http://www.hootech.com/NetMeter/ and found it quite useful :)

I'm sure if you did a search there would be others.

best of luck