NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Media player
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 5:05 am 

I use my NAS mainly for storing and distributing my digital media files, I have been looking at buying an ethernet MP3 player to go in our kitchen, but as far as my research can tell all the available players with the exception of the sonos appear to need a software application installed onto a PC to act a as a server then the unit acts like the client, I am looking for a way of streaming the MP3's off my NAS without having to have any other pc's on in the house. I have a converted xbox that can do it but it's big and bulky and I use it in another room for doing the same thing, I really like the Roku products but again they need the relevant software installed and running to be able to stream the files.
Other than utilising a palm pc or setting up a windows based server instead of the NASlite one has anyone got any other ideas or maybe knows of an MP3 player that can work independantly of a Windows machine?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 12:03 pm 

try to find a AudioTron from Turtlbeach. Does not need server. Can play from NAS. http://www.turtlebeach.com/site/product ... cthome.asp has only audio, no video.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2005 12:11 pm 

or wait for this box. Supposed to read NAS, also USB-disks and multiple media servers and more. Will see when available. http://www.z500series.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 5:03 am 

Wolfgang

Thanks for your help, the first item doesn't seem to be available anywhere and the second one is too big really for in the kitchen :( I'll maybe go with the Roku unit or I could just put the HTPC on and blast it through my amp :lol: Or perhaps I'll wait and see what else comes onto the market.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 9:47 am 

I use a chipped XBOX with XBMC. Disadvantage is you need amplification the advantage is you can watch movies (and play XBox of course).

Should be plenty of cheap Xboxs soon with the 360 coming up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:30 am 

simong156 wrote:
I use a chipped XBOX with XBMC. Disadvantage is you need amplification the advantage is you can watch movies (and play XBox of course).

Should be plenty of cheap Xboxs soon with the 360 coming up.

Yes I've got a chipped xbox and run XBMC on it, it's currently on the sidelines having been substituted by a HTPC, the PC is much better for full media playing and having a VGA input on my plasma means I can easily PIP the PC and the TV useful when downloading or burning disks. The plan is to put the xbox in the conservatory, I just wanted an ethernet connected MP3 player in the kitchen. Thanks for suggestion though :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:43 pm 

Having just discovered NASLite, I've been browsing the forum trying to get up to speed on what's involved and plan to experiment with an elderly Pentium 90 machine over the holidays. One of my plans is to use a NAS box for my mp3s and I'm hoping that Santa will be good to me and bring me one of these http://www.acoustic-energy.co.uk/produc ... /index.asp

According to Acoustic Energy it should be able to play any audio files on a shared network. Ideal (if a little pricey) for a kitchen mp3 player, but throw in the internet radio capability and it's pretty good.