NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 2:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Hard Drive Noise!
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 6:36 am 

I have just succesfully installed NASLite+ on a mini-itx system I had kicking around with a Maxtor Hard Drive. I know Maxtor drives are not the quitest in the world but I have noticed some peculiaratiI have just succesfully installed NASLite+ on a mini-itx system I had kicking around with a Maxtor Hard Drive. I know Maxtor drives are not the quietest in the world but I have noticed some peculiarities which are bugging me a bit:

(1) When the NASLite server machine is idle, there appears to be a 'clicking' sound from the hard disc approximately once per second. This did not happen with Windows XP and only happens when NASLite is running.

(2) When data is being written to the hard drive there are various high pitched sounds coming from the drive itself.

I am 99% sure this is not a mechanical failure in the drive, but should I be concerned?

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 7:05 am 
First thing I would do is go to the Maxtor website http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxto ... 0Downloads
and download the tools for the drive you have.

It should perfom various tests and preport back on its status.

Some drives are noisy but some noise can be caused by virbration in the case. if you look at the drive there should be a date like a expiry date. if u are within this you can return to maxtor for a replacement.

Clunking sounds are not good, try doing a search on google for maxtor hard drive noise
http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=f ... gle+Search.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 19, 2005 8:19 am 
Site Admin

Hello Paul,

Quote:
I am 99% sure this is not a mechanical failure in the drive, but should I be concerned?

On initial boot NASLite initiates a SMART self test on all drives that will be mounted for export. That operation may take a bit of time - 30min or so on a large drive. If that is the case, the ticking is normal. You can verify that a SMART self test is in progress by examining the Info page of the drive in question.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 5:11 am 

edeng,

Thanks for the info. I may run the Maxtor test for piece of mind it is still under warrenty so if it does fail I will return it. However I have since put a hitachi drive in the NASList server and there is no noise except for the high-pitched sound during write actions (very strange this is not noticeable in my XP box).

I have also put the Maxtor in the XP box and I don't ge the clicking....very strange.

Tony,

Thanks for the info. I can see on my Hitachi the SMART self test is in progress. Later I will add the Maxtor in to see if that was the case! It would make sense.

Paul

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:45 pm 

Just thought I should let you know the clicking sound was due to the SMART self test.

Paul