NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2005 10:34 pm 

I have NasLite+ successfully running, for some months now. Several subfolders within Disk-1 will not be deleted. Windows XP client has a mapped drive, and gets "Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk".

Appears to be sort of a file corruption. I've rebooted the NAS, no change. Other folders in the same directory can be deleted no problem.

Disk-1\Folder1\Folder11\Folder111

Folder 111, Folder222, etc can be deleted. Folder333 cannot. If I try it at the Folder11 level, same error message.

I think I stumbled on a common issue - foldernames with special characters seem to be a problem (periods . and hyphens -)

I guess this might be a problem with how Linux uses periods for directory structure (. and ..)?

Anyway to fix this problem?

Post subject: Found a fix
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2005 11:32 am 

Ok, I found my own fix. Did a google search on that error, someone suggested from a DOS prompt on the XP machine:

RD /S /Q [path]

That got rid of the directory and files, which is what I wanted. Any ideas why it happened in the first place? File / folder naming? Something on the XP side?

The other thing I was going to try was an FTP client with Delete capability. Obviously, didn't get to try that method.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:02 pm 

I'm having the same issue. I tried your CLI command and it worked some of the time.

It's like the NAS gets behind trying to delete the files. I 'think' they do finally disappear after some time.