NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Slow HD1 to HD2 transfer
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 5:52 am 

Hi there,

I run NASLite+ on a brand new AMD Sepron 2Ghz, 256 RAM, brand new motherboard, with 2 HDs, 300 GB (Master), 250 GB (Slave), both on Cable Connect jumper setting (not sure it makes any difference... but there you go). I had it on an old P2 before, it worked well but was kind of slow, so I upgraded.

I've been having problems with the transfer rates (about 2 to 3 MB/s) from the PC to the NAS and back, but I read somewhere on the forum that might have to do with the network card, so I will look into that before I ask for your help !

The problem I have is with transfers between the 2 HDs in the NAS. Even though I have a PC133 motherboard, a 2 Ghz CPU and enough RAM, it still have a transfer rate of about 1 MB/s. And this should not have anything to do with the network card, should it?

I'd be interested to know if any of you have encountered the same issue.

Thanks to all.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 8:23 am 
Site Admin

Having both drives on the same IDE cable is most likely contributing to the slowdown.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2005 11:49 am 

That's what I thought... I've just bought NASLite+ USB too, so it'll free the CDROM IDE port. But still, I find 1 MB/s very low. I'll also try to set the HDs proerly to master/slave see if it makes a difference.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:25 am 

I also have very slow transfer from Disk-1 to Disk2. NASLite+ to my PCs is fine though. What is the prper setting for 2 drives on one IDE, master/slave? or should cable select be used?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 11:41 am 
etien,

First thing Id check would be the network card.

When you transfer between drives in Naslite, you are copying the data though your pc so the network card will be used.

Also copying data on the same ide Channel is slower then if they are on different Channels.

Could you post a log.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 2:39 pm 

Why so slow from disk to disk. I move files form 2 diff disks on my dekstop PC and it is fast. By slow transfer disk-1 to disk-2, I mean unusable slow (12KB/SEC).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2005 10:44 pm 

I actually asked the same question about transfer between two drives in the nas box in the hardware section. It was mentioned in previous post in this thread that the trasnfer from one drive to another actually comes out of the box through your pc and back down to the other drive in the nas box. It would appear that you cant do a direct hdd to hdd transfer within the box. In you normal pc when you transfer between two drives you are not involving any network cards it is all done internally and hence much quicker. On my Nas which is an old Dell Optiplex 500mhz with 128m ram, with two 40 g and one 320 g hardrives I get about 8 meg per second transfer speeds from one to the other inside the box and about the same from my main pc to the box. It seems adequate enough. Of course Im new to NASLite so I could be wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 24, 2005 4:02 pm 

I have had limited success using a Knoppix CD to boot and copy files from one drive to the other.
Tony- is the filesystem created from NASLite compatible with other linux distros?