NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 12:40 am 

ok i got this piece of software and tried it out. I am haveing difficulty with it. First off it is really not a FTP server in the traditional since as i cannot FTP to it from another location unless i am doing something wrong

second i have two old p2 266 machines (different manufactures) and i cannot get either to read any of my large HDd's i have a few small (2gb-6gb ) but my 250 , 200 75 or 80gb is a no.

both of these features are supposed to be available on this software.

Now i am a newbie expecially with linux based stuff so maybe there is something i am doing wrong.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 7:55 am 

Well, something's clearly not right because I just set up my PII 200 Mhz PC last Friday and I can ftp and see my 200 GB disk with no problems.

You are trying to ftp over your local network, right? And, not to sound facetious, but are you sure you have your network set up properly (i.e., consistent WORKGROUP name, proper IP addresses, correct drive mapping, etc.)?

As for the hard drives, make sure you turn off any hard drive "sensing" settings in your PC's BIOS. Let NASLite+ handle the hard drives. My PC wouldn't even boot with a 200 GB hard drive until I disabled the hard drive settings in the BIOS.

What kind of network do you have set up, what OS is on the other networked PCs, and what IP addresses are you using?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 11:15 am 

I'll try the auto sensing thing. I know it was setup to auto detect.

i CAN ftp local but i usually dont use ftp to transfer files local i see ftp as a over the internet file transfer. I thought when it stated ftp transfer i could get my files from OUTSIDE my network.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:55 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite content is not accessible outside your LAN since NASLite does not support a default gateway. Otherwise, if you can access the admin menu via telnet, you should also be able to access it via SMB, FTP, NFS...

Post subject: Default Gateway
PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 3:26 am 

Tony wrote:
NASLite content is not accessible outside your LAN since NASLite does not support a default gateway.

Tony are there any plans to add a default gateway to NASlite? Maybe a NASliteWAN edition? What would be involved in say making drive 1 of the mounted drives the one available from the WAN but keeping the others only available on the LAN or making an option as to which drives are WAN accessible?

I realise there would be some security issues but if only one drive was available on the WAN and it was passworded the users own network security settings could handle the rest. Anyone with personal data could put it on drives 2-4 for total security.

It would certainly be beneficial to FTP off a network nightly backups and to be able to access files stored centrally. Your sales potential into the small business market could be huge using the same philosophy as the original NASlite old pc's and relatively inexpensive software any business could have off site data storage via FTP.

Be interested to know your thoughts

Post subject: Re: Default Gateway
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:51 am 

Tony are there any plans to add a default gateway to NASlite? Maybe a NASliteWAN edition? What would be involved in say making drive 1 of the mounted drives the one available from the WAN but keeping the others only available on the LAN or making an option as to which drives are WAN accessible?

Just a polite bump on this topic :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:18 am 
Site Admin

Oops,

Sorry Wilbur, I did mean to respond…

Yes, the 2.x version of NASlite will most likely include gateway configuration. Not 100% sure it’s a good idea yet, but enough folks have asked for it, so the addition is definitely being considered.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:00 am 

Tony thanks for the response.

You guys really do keep your customers well informed congratulations on such great customer support.

I'll look forward to V2 coming out :D