NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 11:11 am 

I would like to set up an automatic remote backup service for myself, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use NASLite+ in the near future to accomplish my goal. Here's what I want:

1. Build a low-cost server that will be visible to WinXP as a drive (NASLite+ does this)
2. Over my LAN, perform an initial backup (with a software tool) to the server (gigs and gigs of pictures - you get the idea)
3. Take the server to a friend and have him place it on his broadband-connected LAN
4. Use a service like DynDNS to keep track of the friend's IP
5. Set up port forwarding, etc on the friend's LAN
6. In WinXP, mount the (now remote) server as a drive using either FTP or NFS (this is where NASLite+ breaks down - no default gateway, no security)
7. Use the software backup tool to perform nightly incremental backups over the internet
8. While I'm wishing, I'll wish for software RAID5 on the server, thus protecting my remote data's integrity

I end up with a complete automated remote backup system. Is there any chance that NASLite+ will include security features and a default gateway (and RAID5, maybe) in the near future, or do I need to figure out Linux and set the server up myself?

Thanks for your responses, and thanks to the development team for a great product. Just wondering what the path forward is...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 08, 2005 12:08 pm 

gwellman wrote:
I would like to set up an automatic remote backup service for myself, and I'm wondering if I'll be able to use NASLite+ in the near future to accomplish my goal. Here's what I want:

1. Build a low-cost server that will be visible to WinXP as a drive (NASLite+ does this)
2. Over my LAN, perform an initial backup (with a software tool) to the server (gigs and gigs of pictures - you get the idea)
3. Take the server to a friend and have him place it on his broadband-connected LAN
4. Use a service like DynDNS to keep track of the friend's IP
5. Set up port forwarding, etc on the friend's LAN
6. In WinXP, mount the (now remote) server as a drive using either FTP or NFS (this is where NASLite+ breaks down - no default gateway, no security)
7. Use the software backup tool to perform nightly incremental backups over the internet
8. While I'm wishing, I'll wish for software RAID5 on the server, thus protecting my remote data's integrity

I end up with a complete automated remote backup system. Is there any chance that NASLite+ will include security features and a default gateway (and RAID5, maybe) in the near future, or do I need to figure out Linux and set the server up myself?

Thanks for your responses, and thanks to the development team for a great product. Just wondering what the path forward is...

I can't give you an answer to all of the questions but you can use a low end PC with:
http://www.snapfiles.com/screenshots/SyncBack.htm
To back up your files.....I really enjoy this backup program and there are lots of choices.

I have 2 Naslite PCs
Both Dell PIII 500s with 384ram.
One runs off the free floppy and one off of the CD Rom version as I was trying to compare speeds for copying files and the paid version is an improvement.

I don't keep any files on my other 2 PCs all files are stored on my Naslite PCs.
One has 4 20g drives and the other a 200g and 160 g.
The bigger drives store HDTV stuff/movies etc
The Smaller Drives are for data only. So I have 4 20 gig named nas1, nas2, nas3, nas4 and I backup Nas4 to Nas2.

Plus I also backup my data to DVDRWs with Nero Backitup.

Chad

Post subject: remote server
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 6:43 am 

nas lite provides no default gateway settings so will not run through a router

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2005 3:34 pm 

go to http://www.sambar.com (not samba !) and install the all in one server, on win or linux box and NAS on a separate box, mount NAS drive on sambar box and you can reach all on NAS via FTP, TFTP,http, https, webdav, email etc, works for me since long time