NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Problem booting
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:34 am 

I haven't had my NAS server running for about a week or so. I just turned it on and it boots to the point where it says "Disk-1 - Found partition" and then it seems to stop. There is a flashing cursor in column 1 of the next line, but nothing else seems to be happening.

I am using NASLite+ 1.2 and, until today, it has worked perfectly. The hard drive is a brand new hard drive (about 2 months old).

Any idea what's going on? Is it doing some sort of self-check that takes a while on a 200 GB hard drive (it's never done this before)?

I have re-booted it twice and the same thing happened each time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 8:48 am 
Site Admin

This issue has been discussed many times before. It's also covered in the manual. After an improper shutdown or a number of normal reboots, NASLite needs to scan the drives before mounting them. It's a maintenance task that ensures filesystem health. The process is similar to check disk in Windows.

Let it sit and it will recover once the filesystem check is complete.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:15 am 

Yeah, well there are two issues that caused my concern here:

1. The PC was normally shut down last time, so I would not have expected it to have performed such a check. Also, I wasn't aware that after a certain number of boots it does this automatically. I thought I had read the manual pretty thoroughly, but I don't recall reading about this aspect of the check. What is that magic number so I'll be ready next time this is going to happen (needless to say, it was very inconvenient timing)?

2. I wasn't aware that it performed the check at that point in the boot process. I would have expected it to finish booting and then do the check (and, certainly a message notifying me of what it is doing would be nice). That's what confused me, it looked like it had frozen. Other than the blinking cursor, there was no indication that anything was happening (and, consider that not all hard drives -- especially on older equipment -- are connected to LEDs to indicate drive activity). I actually stood there with my hand on the drive for about 2 minutes to see if I "felt" any activity. I didn't.

I know about these checks, I just didn't expect one now. Hence, the confusion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 11:57 am 
Site Admin

Normally, an fscheck will be forced on every 21st mount. Another issue that may occasionally cause an fscheck is if a file was open by a client while the machine was being powered down. This is uncommon but I've seen it on rare occasion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 07, 2005 1:46 pm 

This is where ext3 would come in very handy :P

The command to disable fsck checking (tune2fs -i 0 -c 0 /dev/hdxx) should also be added to the utility/options menu of the NASlite interface.

Post subject: Feature
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 5:57 am 

Any Chance of getting an output of the FSCK added to the wait screen or a progress meeter.. this is seriously driving me nuts.. i have a 200gb drive and its painfully slow..

On that note.. i dont have alot of content on the drive and on all my other linux boxes with huge drives.. i dont remember fsck being sooo dang slow.

-Riddler