NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 1:29 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Network connection loss
PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2005 5:02 am 

I have had a frustrating problem with my NAS box lately, I have two pc's + the NAS box hard wired to my network through a Netgear switch, and twice now for no apparent reason I loose connection to the NAS box, I was making full use of my new media pc yesterday evening and it just froze up mid way through a slide show of pictures stored on the NAS, it had run ok pretty much all day as I had added 26000 mp3 tracks to the Media Player library without a hitch although it took over 2 hours, I've experimented with streaming dvd from the NAS no probs. When the connection goes I loose telnet facility, cannot check anything via HTTP but the box is still running, well the lights are on and the fans are turning and the network card light is still on. I don't think its a heat issue with the NAS as its now installed in my garage and the LED temp gauge shows no abnormality. I have to turn off the NAS manually and reboot, then let it run its disk checker it can't be doing the system any good to keep having to manually switch off.
I haven't had time to check it out properly but thought I'd ask to see if anyone has any immediate ideas.
I will rig up a monitor to it tonight so at least I can see what's happening with any error logs before I have to switch off.
One other final point not really connected but can I back up the floppy config files? When the NAS was off I tried to copy the floppy content but in my main pc's floppy drive the disk showed as not having anything on it and asked if I wanted to format!! Back in the NAS it fired up ok? Are the config files in some format Windows can't see? Bit of a long one so sorry about that but it's the first real problem I've had with NASlite in about 3 months of running it