NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon May 06, 2024 12:49 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2005 10:08 pm 

Got a problem with the NASlit-in-a-Nutsell.pdf instructions regarding syslinux.

I downloaded the latest version of syslinux (3.09) and I copied the DOS version to my floppy drive. I had my CF as drive C: and tried a syslinux C:. It failed with the diagnostic Cannot read ldlinux.sys.

Do I need to have a linux kernel loaded on the C: drive so syslinux can create the ldlinux.sys file?

If so, what is the name of the file? Also, this information is missing from the NASlite-in-a-Nutshell.pdf and should be corrected since I've seen several references to this document for people trying to do what I want to do.

Anyone help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:55 pm 
Site Admin

aauldridge had no problems with the instructions. Check his posts on the topic.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:34 am 

Tony,

Talk about me being a funny guy :wink:. I checked his post
Quote:
OK I'm getting frustrated now - this was supposed to be easy

Only took you guys 15 posts to get the instructions/procedure straight with log files and the like. Sounds simple enough to me.

Also, he was trying to duplicate exactly what was described in your document. I wasn't doing that although the procedure I followed should have worked the same way for what I needed which was the point of my initial query (which, by the way, did not get a reply for 5 weeks :!: )

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:42 am 
Site Admin

Having flawed BIOS, RAM and USB Flash does not constitute deficiency in the provided instructions. Alan demonstrated his troubleshooting skills by achieving his goal of “embedding” NASLite on his own. All I provided was the cheers. ;-)

As far as your syslinux question – this is the NASLite+ for USB Flash area. Did you take a look at http://syslinux.zytor.com/ for answers?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:16 pm 

Quote:
As far as your syslinux question – this is the NASLite+ for USB Flash area. Did you take a look at http://syslinux.zytor.com/ for answers?

Thanks for the pointer but I got the issue resolved on my own. The reason I originally posted here was 1) I bought the NASLite+ for USB Flash product, and 2) that is the flavor of NASLite+ the document (NASLite in a Nutshell - A Guide to Repurposing The STB1030N Set Top Box and Embedding The NASLite+ for USB Flash Server Operating System) suggests.

This post was made during my initial exposure to NASLite and before I understood the actual makeup of the product.
Quote:
Having flawed BIOS, RAM and USB Flash does not constitute deficiency in the provided instructions. Alan demonstrated his troubleshooting skills by achieving his goal of “embedding” NASLite on his own. All I provided was the cheers.

Didn't say it did constitute a deficiency in the provided instructions. Only pointing out the fact that sometimes things aren't quite as simple and straightforward as one would like you to believe. Got to admit that is an unusual situation to run into (Having flawed BIOS, RAM and USB Flash). Almost like a triple-whammy :shock:

One other point: While I, too, applaud Alan's tenacity in getting his problem resolved, loading NASLite onto a DOC no more makes it an "embedded" system than booting NASLite from a CD-ROM or floppy. You can pepper the word "embedded" all over the forum but it ain't gonna help. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:49 pm 

Quote:
Using Debian on embedded devices covers a wide range of possible scenarios. The 'embedded' hardware can be anything from a full-blown PC to a MMU-less thing with a few MB of RAM and flash. There is not one solution that suits all of these scenarios at once, so Embedded Debian provides infrastructure and tools to produce systems according to particular project needs.

http://www.emdebian.org/about/index.html

Sounds to me, NASLite accomplishes essentially the same thing the Debian embedded project does, or are you going to dispute thier claim as well?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 2:47 pm 

Quote:
... so Embedded Debian provides infrastructure and tools to produce systems according to particular project needs.

What infrastructure or tools does NASLite provide so I can produce a system according to a specific need?
NASLite makes use of a minimal Linux distribution that is capable of running on an embedded device but NASLite itself is strictly an application, not an embedded system. Installing NASLite on a Cray doesn't turn the Cray into an embedded device. It may severly retard the Cray's capabilities but it certainly doesn't make it an embedded device like Ralph's DVD player.

Sounds to me like you swallowed the hype, hook, line, and sinker :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:07 pm 
Site Admin

Well sanmaster,

One last time, I’ll entertain you and anyone else that my share your opinion by pointing out that NASLite is NOT an embedded development tool but the result of. There is no spin or confusion on our part regarding what our goals are.

What I am fully convinced of is that you have no interest in understanding. If that’s an incorrect statement, then I have overestimated you.

Further discussion is simply pointless. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 4:59 pm 

Quote:
There is no spin or confusion on our part regarding what our goals are.

I never contended that you have not reached your stated goals with NASLite. In fact, I have praised the product several times throughout my posts.
Quote:
What I am fully convinced of is that you have no interest in understanding. If that’s an incorrect statement, then I have overestimated you.

It always amazes me that a person resorts to this type of characterization just because there is a difference of opinion. Questioning someone's interest in a topic because they don't happen to agree with you appears to be a attempt to imply that your opinion is better. Obviously, I disagree with you but since you are the people responsible for the NASLite product I guess what you say is gospel regardless of any counter-discussion.
Quote:
Further discussion is simply pointless.

Amen!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:12 pm 

Sanmaster? What exactly is your problem? Everywhere i look on here it's your negative posting, you nit pick every answer given to you, to try and force people to believe you.

I'm not buying your "SPIN"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 5:21 pm 

Quote:
Sanmaster? What exactly is your problem? Everywhere i look on here it's your negative posting, you nit pick every answer given to you, to try and force people to believe you.

I have no problem, only opinions. You decided to join the discussion. I just responded to your question (below).
Quote:
Sounds to me, NASLite accomplishes essentially the same thing the Debian embedded project does, or are you going to dispute thier claim as well?

Quote:
I'm not buying your "SPIN"

Funny, I don't remember asking you, or anyone else, to buy into what I was saying.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 9:14 pm 

Man!
Nooo kidding!

sandmaster,

What is your problem dude? Your posts are not helping anyone. All you are doing is filling this resource with useless babble about your opinion of this and that. The guys are actually making an attempt to explain, but you don't want explanations. All you want is a soapbox to hop on. Now get off it allready. It's stale, stupid and wasteful.

You know what I mean?

EDITED: After seing your next post I had to edit mine. I stand corrected. In your case it's a special kind of stupid! This way you can still have the last word.

Last edited by dimension on Thu Sep 15, 2005 11:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 10:04 pm 

dimension,

Quote:
... It's stale, stupid and wasteful.

So, if I understand you correctly, an opinion that differs from yours is stupid? And wasteful? Didn't know I had to run everything I think and say past you. Are those rules posted somewhere on the forum? Sorry, I'll try to do better next time. Please let me know when it's OK to speak and exactly what it is I can say. I'll be waiting anxiously by my computer for your answer. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 3:36 am 

I gotta agree with MOTORCITYKID and DIMENSION, SANMASTER do you have anything positive to say about any of the versions of NASlite? Why can't you offer some constructive criticism instead of replying in the tone of a government agency?

Question why did you buy NASlite if it doesn't do what you want?

If you have the technical ability to disect the software to the point of demanding root access even though the guy that wrote it said there wasn't root access then write your own version that does do what you want, then maybe you could send a copy in to Server elements and Tony and Ralph could pull your software apart and critisise it on the forum.

Me I just wanted a cheap NAS facility and now I got it, it doesn't do some of the things I'd like, maybe they'll be developed and maybe they won't it does however do what it said it would when I bought it. And at the end of the day it was £15. Man that's a round of drinks in the pub or a bargain bucket of KFC you know it aint exactly cost the earth :)

I pointedly asked questions so you can answer them and have the final word because you are definately the last word king, I'd like to see you in a discussion with my 3 year old neice who fancies herself as the last word pricecess :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 9:54 am 

This forum has provided an interesting look into human behavior.

The technical discussions between Tony, Ralph, and myself ended some time ago. The more recent posts in this forum have been against my character simply because I dared to have an opinion different from other people. I suggest that this is the root of the problem between people today, be it countries, neighborhoods, families, whatever. The minute someone disagrees with what you believe in they are branded as (special kind of) stupid, wasteful, "last word king", etc. People assign labels to other people that have nothing to do with the issue at hand but only meant to mask the real problems. I never once said anything derogatory about anyone on the forum. I tried to respect all opinions, not necessarily agree with them.

I never said that NASLite was a bad product. Look through my posts. I use it, I like it, I would just like to see some minor improvements. Can I grow my own, sure. Will I, maybe. And if someone disagreed with me technically, good for them. I've been in this business long enough to know that there is more than one way to do something.

I sense a "gang-like" mentality forming on this forum and this will be my "last word", not because the gang is correct, simply because the attitude of the gang is dangerous.