NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:58 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 3:34 pm 

So i just got my new computer, windows 7 on there. I wanted to make a backup to dvd of a bunch of photos that were sitting on the naslite server.
i open two explorer windows- one for the NAS box and one for the dvd drive with a blank dvd in there. i drag my 2010 digital photos folder over to the dvd drive.

it 'calculates' for a few minutes, then tells me it can't find a file. skip, try again. can't find anything. so i cancel to see what is going on, look on the NAS box, and that folder is empty. all of the monthly folders are still in it, but they are empty too. it kept the structure, but deleted all the images.

are they gone forever? would updating to NAS2 help find them? my wife will kill me without these....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:01 pm 

hmmmmm and with respect - windows 7 did not delete them - you had to do it - but that does not help - there are recovery programs for linux - which is what Naslite is - boot the nas box from a linux disc - ubuntu or mint or any other and get one of the recovery programs - cannot help with a name but google will

make sure you have a spare blank drive to install the program to and to save any recovered files to - do not save anything to the nas drive - hopefully that will sort it

cannot see upgrading to another version of Naslite helping - if the files have in fact been deleted you have to recover them

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:06 pm 

thanks, i'll try downloading some flavor of linux to a cd and try that option.

i did no action that intentionally *DELETED* the file. all i did was copy them from NAS drive to local DVD drive. it timed out, said it couldn't find the file(s). eventually i canceled out of that and it was gone. i was able to replicate it perfectly with another backed up copy of a different directory.

so something between windows7 and old nas lite (this box has been running since ~2005!) doesn't get along at all.
and it's not just copying- it works fine to copy from nas to a folder on the local win7 C:\ drive. just not directly to a DVD burner

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 4:30 pm 

copy would sound like move then - maybe there is a problem - others here may know - i use naslite2 and have no issues - many things have changed with the linux core since 2005 - so once you [hopefully] get everything back upgrading would sound a good idea - positive side of Naslite is it is not expensive

but will stress again - put a blank drive in the system and be 100% sure you write nothing to the nas drives - that way you have hope

PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:46 pm 

Try checking that the files are there with another machine other than Win7. Just a simple look at the IP address of the NASLite box from a browser will show that the files are most likely there. If they are not, not likely, then follow Tony's advice as it is the proper path to take in my opinion.

Mike

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:34 am 

so following up the last comment in the first post do we assume you are no longer with us :?

hopefully you got the photos back :?:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 12:06 am 

found i had bookmarked this thread and saw tony's last response, so I felt i should let him know i'm still alive!

got the data back by running a program called ReclaiME. cost me some $$, but it was worth it.

in the process now of copying the rest of the stuff off the trusty old NAS box. it's running on my first computer, a dell 166Mhz processor (With MMX!), and has been since 2005. I now have a purchased network drive that also acts as a print server, and hopefully sucks down a lot less juice than that old beast.

i also have long since lost my admin pwd to the nas box, so I can't even change its network settings. for some reason back in the day i manually selected the IP, and have since moved to a different subnet with a new router.