NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 3:44 pm 

I have a Naslite USB flash box with four IDE ATA133 200meg hard drives each with 8 meg cache. The naslite box is a newer mboard with ATA133, 512 meg ram and a XP1800 CPU.

I am also using a netgear GS608 gigabit switch and intel gigabit nics using the intel pro1000 drivers.

My workstations are several XP Pro stations and one XP Home. I am using the same intel gigabit nics on the XP pro stations, but no matter what method of file transport I use, I'm only getting about 7.5mbps. It starts off at 20mbps and then dies off to 7.5 after about 10 seconds. This is no better performance than when I was using a 100meg switch and 100 meg nics.

I have tried Cat6 cable and Cat5e cables, but it produces no change.

The XP pro machine I mainly test from is farily new and has good specs also. ATA133 drives operating in proper Ultra DMA mode 6, 1gig of ram etc.

The naslite box reports gigabit operation as do the XP Pro machines but I can't think of anything else to try - I'd like to at least get up to 20mbps.

I see people using these gigabit switches reporting transfering 1 gig files in 30-45 seconds. Any ideas on other things I could try?