NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:17 pm 

Using Naslite+ any ideas on what causes hang on bootup?

Used to work fine. Now getting stuck here.

I have nothing of value on the disks, is there any way to reconfigure them again ?

If I remove the floppy, I get five beeps on bootup, and only the first two options on the about screen are successful.

Any ideas?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2005 10:48 pm 

This is the Cdrom+ version I was using as well as I upgraded from the free version and bought the whole server suite.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:06 am 
Site Admin

On the CD there is a PDF containing a nice manual ;-)

Pay special attention to the section titled "Disk Health and Monitoring"

By removing the floppy, you should be in “DEFAULTS” mode. If you wish to reconfigure the NASLite+ server, then take a look the section called “Initial Software Setup”.

If you are interested in the meaning of the beeps, take a look at the section titled “NASLite+ as an Appliance”

Really thought – the manual is only ten pages. Although NASLite+ is very easy to use, there are some points about its behavior and general operation requirements that one should review. The information that the manual holds can be useful and may make the difference between a successful NASLite+ operation or an unnecessary disaster and data loss.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2005 9:23 am 

I read the manual and I know what the beeps mean. :P My question was can you reconfigure the hard drive since it was hanging on bootup. The drives are brand new and work in XP just fine so there's nothing wrong with them.

I gave up on it as I think there was a problem with the old pc I was trying to use. I think the floppy was fried. :twisted:

I popped the drives in a new case with new mboard and ram, created a USB bootup disc and it works fine again, although it didn't like my Gigabit e net card for some reason. So I'm ordering another one to see if I can get better transfer rates.

Post subject: Found Disk 1
PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 4:54 pm 

I also had a situation like this twice recently. Once after installing new Maxtor 300 gb drive. But, I have found that if you leave the system alone it fires into action after about 5 minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2005 9:05 pm 

i also had this problem but it was caused by my floppy currupting
all i had to do was boot up without floppy (with kb and mon attached) re-configure, save and away i want (after ages of verifing drives that wern't shut down corectly from the hang), no data was lost :)

which btw would be another good reason to save and lock the config on the CD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 7:58 pm 

What do you guys mean by no floppy?

In my case I have tried many things. I still have the issue Disk-1 - Found partition.

- Went in Bios and disabled IDE controller --> Managed to load NASLITE but none of the drives were available.

- Went back in Bios, changed the IDE controller to the way it was (both) and went in each drive and switch AUTO to NONE. Stuck at Disk-1 etc..

- In Bios, switched each drive to IDE removable (the choices are None, ATAPI CD Rom, IDE Removable, USER defined and finally AUTO). Stuck at the same situation...

It's really weird. It used to work very well with IDE Controller set to Both and each drive to AUTO.

The fact that it managed to boot with IDE Controller disabled makes me believe that this is where the issue is.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2005 9:02 pm 
Hi msboston,

No floppy means that they booted naslite+ without a floppy disk in the drive as the other floppy was broke, then they saved there settings to a new floppy. you are aware that naslite+ saves its config to a floppy disk?

The disk-1 found partiton is sometimes thought of as a lock up or crash because nothing happens (for a while) its checking the Hard disks and as you have a 250Gb it will take a little time to check, always powerdown naslite in the correct manner and turn off the pc.

oh and leave the settings in bios as none for the HDs

Eden

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:27 am 

False alarm!!!

It was a bad cable network cable! Bad cable, bad! :evil:

And you were right Edeng, NASLITe does perform a check on each drive and the one for Disk 1 (250 GB) was taking 15 minutes, then 5 for each other ones.

So no worries, all is back to normal.

Thanks for the help though.