NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 11:54 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Imaging with dos
PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 10:09 pm 

I have 3 pcs that I want to image. I want to save the images to the NASLite server and restore via my network.

I am using TeraByte Unlimited's imaging software. I can see the NAS disks from all 3 windows pcs (2 XP machines & 1 2K). Therefore I can create and save my images to the NASLite server without problems using Image for Windows. But in order to restore the primary active partition I need to use Image for Dos.

My problem is that I can connect 2 of the machines (1 XP & 1 2K) to the server using Bart's dos network boot disk, I can then restore the images via dos; but the 3rd pc will not see the server when I try to map a drive in dos.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue might be? I am using the same network boot disk for all three pcs, they all are using the same network adapter.

Post subject: Re: Imaging with dos
PostPosted: Fri May 06, 2005 2:36 pm 

trsloan wrote:
I have 3 pcs that I want to image. I want to save the images to the NASLite server and restore via my network.

I am using TeraByte Unlimited's imaging software. I can see the NAS disks from all 3 windows pcs (2 XP machines & 1 2K). Therefore I can create and save my images to the NASLite server without problems using Image for Windows. But in order to restore the primary active partition I need to use Image for Dos.

My problem is that I can connect 2 of the machines (1 XP & 1 2K) to the server using Bart's dos network boot disk, I can then restore the images via dos; but the 3rd pc will not see the server when I try to map a drive in dos.

Does anyone have any ideas of what the issue might be? I am using the same network boot disk for all three pcs, they all are using the same network adapter.

You already know it is not a networking issue, because the other system can see the server. You need to make sure that the Barts Boot Disk supports your NIC card. If the drivers in the boot disk don't work with your NIC card, you wont be able to see the NASLite server.

Tray adding the same card that is on your systems that can connect, to the system that cannot connect, and see if that works.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 2:52 pm 

As I stated in the very last line of my post: "they are all using the same network adapter", i.e. the same brand and model of nic, therefore the same driver.

The network boot disk works with 2 of the machines/nics but not the 3rd.

I guess it could be the physical adapter itself, but it does work in windows to see the server, etc.