NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 1:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2005 5:15 am 

Just a snippet I'd like to pass on regarding the compatibility of network adapters.

Having just purchased NASLight+, I was puzzled by the fact that the first boot of the freshly installed program seemed to be in 'normal' mode, rather than the expected 'default' mode. The result of this was that NASLight appeared to be attempting to mount the installed but unprepared hard disk (which at the time contained a standard FAT16 partition with data on it). Furthermore, I was unable to log in as admin using the default password.

After much head scratching, I decided to swap out the network card for a Realtek device (the previous NIC wasn't on the approved list of cards known to work). A reboot... and BINGO! Everything worked perfectly. NASLight booted in default mode, I logged in using the default password, changed the network address, workgroup and password and saved the settings to floppy. Rebooting with the floppy in the drive allowed me, in correct fashion, to configure the storage device (a 120 Gb Maxtor).

I'm now delighted with the system, particularly as NASLight seems to bypass the BIOS hard disk limit of 10 Gb. This is one of NASLight's many major selling points. Keep up the great work, Tony!