NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 7:16 am 

After using the NASLite+ V1.x floppy version for several years, I decided to try out the USB version. This is because I purchased NASLite+ USB Flash right after it came out. (this was back in 2005) After programming the bootable USB flash drive successfully, I have encountered several problems.

1. When naslite boots up, I get the five beeps that says its unable to detect or initialize the NIC. This is very strange to me because I'm using the same NIC I used when I used the floppy version. The only difference is I'm using a different computer. Shouldn't naslite have seen this card?

2. After entering the login and default password and reaching the initial login screen, I can't seem to save any changes I make to the configuration. (yes, I do a save config and then reboot)

Could the problem be with the NASLite+ USB Flash version I'm using? It's v1.0

The computer I'm using is a HP Pavilion a210y, P4 3.0MHz, 1 Gig memory. The NIC is a Linksys/Network Everywhere Fast Ethernet 10/100, model NC100, ver. 2.1 (this machine also has on board ethernet which naslite isn't seeing either)

Thanks for any help.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 8:56 am 
Site Admin

Try disabling USB2 in the BIOS. I think on boot NASLite+ is failing to identify the boot device. At times USB2 causes the kernel to see the hardware differently than the BIOS presents it.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:02 pm 

Thanks Tony for your reply.

I looked in my BIOS and didn't find any way to disable USB2.0. In fact, the only setting for USB, found under the Advanced tab, was "USB Legacy Mode Support" which has a setting of either auto, disable or enable. (auto or enable must be chosen in order for the USB to boot)

My BIOS version is: Phoenix - AwardBIOS CMOS Setup Utility

When I configured the USB flash, I did it as a bootable superfloppy. Should I configure it as a bootable partition? (hoping then naslite will see my NIC and be able to save changes to the configuration)

Thanks again for any help.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 7:33 pm 

Hello Tony

After sending the above post, and knowing it was the weekend, I figured it might be awhile before you had a chance to respond. And since my wife was working I decided to dive into the forum and read as much as I could. I must say, we have an excellent forum with an incredible amount of info. I saw more than once where you suggested that someone needed to disable USB2.0 and also where people had solved their problem by trying different flash drives. Since I can't disable USB2.0 I tried different flash drives all to no avail.

So, as a back up plan I started looking at NASLite-2 HDD and reading the forum. It REALLY looks like a great program and one I will be looking at in the future as my storage needs change. (The SmallNetBuilder review was interesting but sad. This goes to show what everybody should know, you can't believe everything you read. The author's bias was embarrassing.)

I also re-read the user manual for NASLite+ for USB Flash several more times and now have it committed to memory. :) I noticed on page 5 that the picture of the Console Login Screen showed that the Initializing Network setting was showing "DISABLED". This got me to thinking that this had to be normal at that stage and that if I got the five beeps on boot up, it COULD mean that naslite saw the card but it needed to be configured.

Before I sent my first post, I had already tried to configure the IP address to 192.168.1.48 which, after using option 9 to save and then a reboot, didn't work and resulted in the five beeps. After considering the above login screen I reasoned that perhaps my IP address might be somehow wrong so I changed it to 192.168.1.100 and it worked!

I'm not sure what solved the problem, but am much relieved and am now using the C switch to check my disk for errors as I write this post. Problem solved!!