NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2005 6:50 am 

I post here as it is likely that a percentage of people that purchase Naslite+ will be looking for a rackmounted solution. Also since all members are interested in building a NAS it seems relevant.

Can anyone recommend a rackmounted chassis that comes with 4-8 built in IDE drive caddies that can be fitted in a 600mm deep cabinet. I do not mind how many U it is.

Appologies if this is to off topic however i do believe that many users will be purchasing new kit to use Naslite especially now that the USB version exists excluding 95% of all old boxes. Perhaps the creation of a hardware discussion forum would be possible.

Thanks for your time.

mark

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:04 pm 

I have not found a rackmount chassis with more then 4 external 5.25' bays, also i believe it will be difficult with only 600 depth. I am using this monster:
COOLERMASTER STACKER STC-T01 see http://www.systemcooling.com/cm_stacker-01.html
I mounted the rear-fan outside, 2 power-supplies inside, 2 motherboards with spacers on top of each other, now it holds the USB-NAS and the smootwall firewall, and has space for future drive expansions. I plan in future to replace the motherboards with mini-ITX, then it should hold multiple motherboards for my complete network. The only issue on the case are the alumium sides...they are a bit flimsy.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2005 5:32 am 

thats pretty much the conclusion i came to.

still looking though. this HAS to be a gap in the market lol