NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:20 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:25 pm 

Okay so I am up and running now, Server works great. I have been getting around 9MB/s with it. This is very nice. THis is currently only dealing with one PC accessing it at a time. Later I am going to try having multiple people access it at once. HEre is the question

I have NASLITE+ installed and running on a PII -333mhz system with 128mb ram, with several large hard drives.

I have bought several gigabit cards for several of my computers, also have a gigbit switch. I was wondering what rates could I expect to upload it I used a support gigabit card in the NAS.

I am talking about total rate say from 1 pc accessing one hard drive, another accessing from another. So 3 or 4 users each access a different hard drive. Basically bottle neck should not be the hard drives speed.

Anyone test this out? Anyone have a setup like this that can give me some idea of what I can except. Thanks for any info about this.

Post subject: impossible to tell
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:48 pm 

there are so many issues and factors that affect throughput when you have multiple users. For instance, you say only one user/connection per hard disc, but is each hard disc on its own controller? (probably not), how fast are the discs, how much memory is available, are the discs/controllers configured for DMA access, etc. Not to mention the type of ethernet chipset in play, it's buffer sizes, MTU size, etc.

A P2-333 is a fairly slow machine by today's standards, and such a machine is likely to have ATA33 IDE controller at best. Your getting 9MB/s now, which is 72Mb/s, I assume with a 100baseTX NIC. I would be shocked if you get over 200Mb/s aggregate with a gig interface in that machine, and that is with one connection reading or writing a single large file. Multiple users connecting at the same time, even to different discs on the same controller (or on different controllers for that matter), will add significant overhead to such a system.

Let us know what you get.. i'll be curious! Good luck.

KG

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:56 pm 

Yeah I know there is alot of varience. I figured there would be alot of overhead with multiple users. Just kind of getting an idea of speeds. The wiring in my house is only rated at 350mbs rather than a full 1000. I would be plenty happy with 200mbs. You are correct about the ide controller being 33 rather than the faster ones of today. I guess I will just test it out when the gigabit cards arrive. If I do not like throughput I might be able to aquire a 900mhz pIII with 512ram and better ide controller. Well thanks for the response.

Any one out there have a gigabit setup. What kind of transfer speeds are you getting?? ALso if you could state system specs cpu,ram, etc. Thanks