NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:19 am 

Okay I have several large hard drives. Enough of them seem to have problems.

SO when setting up the linux server, I have the disk completely checked. My question is how does linux handle finding those errors? How does it keep track of them. The errors are usually on a specific section of the drive maybe a few mb of space in the begining or end of a drive.

Also I was wondering how running a server 24/7 effects the hard drives. THe server they would be in would have lots of air flow so all the hard drives would be in good running location. Do not know much about hard drives, does the wear on a drive come from the starts and the stops of the drive or would continually use be worse.

This is just a person file server for my house, and maybe be used sometimes only once a week and others for hours per day. Should I turn the server off then back on.

I am only interested in extending disk life.
THink that is everything. IF I come up with any other questions I will just make yet another thread.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 11:52 am 

just to clarify the problems I have with the hard drives are bad sectors. Usually located at either beginning or end of drive

Post subject: There are no problem:)
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:28 am 

Well, I don't think, that there are any problem with using ordinary hard disks in 24/7.
Although I'm not a hardware professional, my experiences in using various hard disks in 24/7 is fairly enough: as a programmer and system enginier I have some boxes, wich were shutdowned in the past 6 year only once, especially when I moved to a new house.
I'm using the NASLite for two month now, and I never turn the machine off, and I don't know any reason to do: the smartmontools reports are clearly show, that all of my hard disks operating well, the temperatures never get higher 38 C, even if I copying hundreds of gigas.