NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: remote shutdown and wol
PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2007 5:50 pm 

have been playing with naslite+ on a friends machine - he runs it 24/7 so my problems/needs are not relevant to him - but i want to power on and off remotely

have found a program here - http://homepage.ntlworld.com/lou.greyfaulk/

this recognises that naslite is running bit does not work - i am running Vista - so wonder if that is the problem

other wol and remote shutdown programs do not want to work either with Naslite

i have looked at Freenas [does not seem to do all that i want] but that does have remote shutdown which does work in Vista - using that i can then use a standard wol program to wake up Freenas

any help appreciated as i want to go to Naslite 2 CDD - but do not want to purchase it if i cannot solve the above

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:22 pm 

Hello tony a:

I wrote the remote wakeup/shutdown scripts. Have not yet tested on Vista, but will shortly. I'll post back with results within a couple of days.

(Already discovered one issue: "telnet" is not installed by default in VISTA (at least not in my VISTA Ultimate edition I just created for temporary test purposes). The "telnet" is needed to log in to NASLite and trigger the shutdown via menu choice 8. In Vista, if you look at Windows Help, type in "telnet" in the search box, then follow the instructions under "How do I install telnet?".)

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 6:37 am 

thanks - installing telnet 'client' certainly takes me further - i now get past the error and am asked for login and password which allows me to select item 8

from there it goes wrong [for me] half shuts the system down but does not turn off the fans - will then not let me do a 'wol'

i have no ide awhat i am saying but have you looked at the way it is done in 'Freenas' that runs a php script which is done from IE

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:35 am 

tony a:

Thanks for your report; I have gotten to the login prompt too.

My areas of expertise are limited ... so in the interest of a stable program and not learning something from scratch I am continuing to work on fixing my HTA script. I have found the problem (Microsoft has apparently changed the behaviour of some routines, which may also be the case when running IE7 on Win XP (I'm not yet sure)), and I have a workaround. I just need to do more testing and also need to make sure I don't break the WinXP (or IE6) version of the script. (Worst case I'll have to create a separate version for XP & Vista.)

If you are using version 1.x of NASLite the system shuts down to the "Power Down" message on the console, but it can't actually completely turn off the system, you still have to push the power button. Version 2.x fixes that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:43 am 

thanks georg -

am testing on 1.4 - thats what a mate has - i think i need version 2 as i want sata support - think that is only in 2 ?? but have not bought it as this problem was getting in the way

so do i read you correctly that with 2 it will power down to a point that a wol program - yours?? will power up the system again

pushing the power button seems to defeat the wol programs i have tried - they do not work from that only a software shutdown

by the way drop the 'a' after tony - that was only there to get me a login name

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:10 am 

tony:

Yes, NASLite 2.x has many great new features ... including SATA support, as well as USB & Firewire drives. And yes, my script does a complete shutdown (complete power off, not sleep or hibernate), from which WOL turns it back on (cold boot).

Note two issues: a) NASLite 2.x may rename your disk drives (very annoying if you rely on mount points of a particular name for your existing data; the hard disks can be moved with absolutely no problem, but the sequence (which drive is which) may change, and hence the "Disk-X" name. b) some NIC and Motherboard (BIOS) combinations do not support WOL as expected or at all. Make sure your hardware is WOL capable before committing to this path.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:15 pm 

thanks georg - not sure i understand exactly about the drive renaming - is that just a one off occurance when the software is updated from 1.x to 2 ?

if so not a problem as i am only playing at the moment

one thing on the script - would it be possible to have the login name and pasword entered by the script and executed so when the program was run it went straight to the screen with option 8 -realise the user name and password would have to be by user input in the .hta file initially - but that bit would not be difficult

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:29 pm 

tony:
That's exactly what the script does, and it has worked that way in WinXP for some time now; thanks to Microsoft ... Vista "broke" the script.

If you haven't already ... take a look at http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=810 and http://www.serverelements.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1734

I have some high-priorities that keep me from working on fixing and testing it for another day or so ...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:36 pm 

ahhhh i see - well Vista has broken a fair bit of stuff - all in the name of security it is said