NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Server Not Accessible
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 2:25 pm 

I am new to NASLite. I set up the NAS computer without a problem. I can see the Serer on my Windows XP computers when I view my workgroup computers but when I double click on the server I get the following error
"\\Server is not accessible. You might not have permissions to use this network resource. Contact the adminsitrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.
The network path was not found."
I thought there should be a simple solution for this since both of my Windows XP computers are doing the same thing. But I have spent I lot of time trying to figure this one out. I couldnot find any answers on the forum?
Anyone have any suggestions!!!Please.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 3:55 pm 

Hello terath:

I assume you are seeing this trouble when you use Windows Explorer and drill down to "My Network Places". What happens if you type in the IP address of your server directly into the "Address" box in Windows Explorer or in Internet Explorer -- does it allow access then ?

Most likely it's a firewall issue. Depending on what you use (ZoneAlarm, Norton etc etc) the fix will vary, but you will likely just have to allow the NASLite server into the "Trusted Zone".

A convenient link to the harddisk(s) on your server you could create is by using the "Tools" / "Map Network Drive" in Windows Explorer. In the "Folder field" type your server name with a "\\" prefix and followed by "\Shares". Example: "\\MyServer\Shares".

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:07 pm 

Thanks georg,
It does not connect when I type the IP address into the Address box. I have shut down the firewall (McAfee) and still nothing. I tried to map it as well but it cannot connect.

I had NASLite format the hard drives, I am assuming this is correct?
Whats wierd is that both XP computers on the network do the same thing.
What basics am I missing? Some sort of windows setting?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2007 4:29 pm 

What about a setting on the router? I tried shutting down the fierwall on the router itself but that didn't seem to work either.

I am still starting to believe it is the router since both computers are doing the same thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 4:50 am 

hi,

Have you ensured that you have the correct info in the naslite server i.e. IP and that you have saved the config and rebooted. is your nic showing up in the log?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:48 am 

This may be a purely Windows problem.

I have experienced similar messages in a pure Microsoft environment, with Windows XP refusing to connect to open shares on a Server 2003 system, and tracked it down to the particular XP systems(s) having a single user with no passwword set.

This allows the Windows system to boot straight into the desktop rather than the user having to enter a password and for some reason, the system will at that point, not let you access any network resources.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:41 pm 

I have tried several different IP addresses. Each time I change the IP address I can see the change in my Workgroup on the XP computers.

There are three users on this home computer. I have created a password on all accounts rebooted and still no luck.

I also have a network all in one device that is working correctly on both XP computers. I am able to share files between both XP computers with file sharing.

I can see the NAS box in my workgroup on both XP computers but I cannot map a drive to it or create a network place to it. I have tried typing in the IP address into the address bar. I have tried telenet from both computers but it will not connect.

If my NIC was not compatible would I be able to see it in my Workgroup?
The NAS box says that the network is OK.

What am I missing? Getting frustrated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:01 pm 

Hello terath:

Ok ... I'm stumped. I assume you are using 1.x, correct ? Which one (USB, CD) ?

No offense here, you probably already did try all this ... but let's go through every detailed step. Like fordem says, it is likely something with Windows. And you probably should not see the server if you missed something in the server setup ... but need to make sure we have everything covered.

So I fired up my old CD with my (first) NASLite+ (USB) license version 1.5. Created a USB stick from scratch ("Bootable Partition", not "Bootable Superfloppy"). I booted NASLite. I logged on, added the license code using option "L" ( I assume you have a valid code ... you must, because the networking on the server is disabled without it (for version 1.x) ). Under option "1" I gave it an IP (192.168.1.29) and 255.255.255.0 for the Netmask (double check this). I saved the configuration (option "9") -- in my case to USB ... if you are using CD version I think it is saved to floppy. Make sure it says "Configuration saved" at this point (NOTE: I had CAPS LOCK on, and answering with a "Y" does NOT save the configuration. Only "y" (lower-case) did.)

I rebooted (option "7").

I did not even attach any hard disks. I also did not change the name of the workgroup or the name of the server. But after reboot everything still looks normal (everything is green and says "SUCCESSFUL", "REGISTERED", "ACTIVE" and "NORMAL", except that all disks say (in yellow) "NOT A DISK").

Now on my WinXP system when I launch either Windows Explorer or Internet Explorer I can type "192.168.1.29" in the Address field and I get an html page with a single line showing "dr-xr-xr-x root root <date> <DIR> Info". If I click on "Info" I can review all the status pages. But if I try to access "WORKGROUP" under "My Network Places" I get the same error as you reported at the beginning of this thread.

Please try to follow the steps above and tell us what you get.

Also, in a command window I can type "ping 192.168.1.29" and get a successful reply. If you DON'T, also try "ping 127.0.0.1".

I can feel you're frustrated ... but we'll get this working one way or another.

A few more questions: Do you use DHCP ? Is the IP of your server OUTSIDE of the range your DHCP server (probably your router) uses for assignments ? Does the Netmask match in all your systems ? Is any one of your WinXP systems part of a DOMAIN (as opposed to Workgroup) ?

:) Georg

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:15 pm 

Georg
Sorry, I needed to take a day away from it. No offense taken here, learning as we go along. Like I said I feel like I am missing something basic.

I am using a licensed copy of NASLite+ CD version 1.5 I believe (just downloaded 2 weeks ago).

Performed everything as you explained. Everything is green/yellow. Successful, Registered Active, Normal. I have two discs installed and they are green and Successful as well.

I checked the router and DHCP is enabled. The router IP is xxx.xxx.1.1 and the netmask is 255.255.255.0
The starting IP is xxx.xxx.1.100
So, I am wanting to set the IP address for the NAS box to something between xxx.xxx.1.1 and xxx.xxx.1.100 correct? Can it be any number within that range? Single digits? (Sorry not very experienced with networks, enough to be dangerous you know).

If I ping the IP address for the NAS box I get "Cannot find server"
If I ping the loopback it works fine I get everything back.

One other note, I am now using a laptop from work connected to the network wireless, and I am getting the same errors.

I don't believe any of the computers are set up on a domain. They are all part of the same workgroup. I have also set the NAS box to that workgroup.

Now, looking at my router. Anything about port forwarding, gateway mode, QoS. It just seems more that coincidental that all three computers with varying versions of XP are experiencing the same type of error. My router is a Linksys wireless with speed booster. Also, I have the NAS box wired into a Linksys switch.

WAIT A SECOND! ':shock:'

While I was going through all of this I decided to take the switch and the short cat 5 cable that I was using out of the picture and plugged in directly to the router. VIOLA!!! IT WORKS.

Now, is it the switch or the cable? I think I have tried plugging into the router with the short cable before bypassing the switch so I am thinking it is the cable. I read something in one of the other posts about a crossover cable. Could this be the case, How can I tell if it is a crossover or not.

Thanks everyone for your patience!! Take it easy on me :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 7:07 pm 

terath wrote:
I checked the router and DHCP is enabled. The router IP is xxx.xxx.1.1 and the netmask is 255.255.255.0
The starting IP is xxx.xxx.1.100
So, I am wanting to set the IP address for the NAS box to something between xxx.xxx.1.1 and xxx.xxx.1.100 correct? Can it be any number within that range? Single digits? (Sorry not very experienced with networks, enough to be dangerous you know).

No - you need the ip address to be outside of the DHCP - I would put it just below 100 - let's say 192.168.1. 98 - by the way, there's no need to conceal and no point in concealing a private ip address.

Quote:
Now, is it the switch or the cable? I think I have tried plugging into the router with the short cable before bypassing the switch so I am thinking it is the cable. I read something in one of the other posts about a crossover cable. Could this be the case, How can I tell if it is a crossover or not.

Typically you need a crossover cable to connect the router and the switch - some newer models support auto cross over so this isn't always necessary.

How can you tell - easy - hold the cable ends up side by side and look at the colors of the individual wires - if they are in the same sequence at both ends it is a straight through cable. A crossover cable will have the 1&2 wires at one end crossed to 3&6 at the other and vice versa.