NASLite Network Attached Storage

www.serverelements.com
Task-specific simplicity with low hardware requirements.
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:49 pm 

NASLite+ is great....but I think a major update is needed. My D-Link DGE-530T network card is not recognized. This is a gigabit card. Can an update be maded ASAP please? This driver is available on the D-Link website for linux. See it here...

http://www.dlink.com/products/?sec=1&pid=284

How can we fix this? Can it be done manually...or can an update be done for a V1.6. There has been no update for a while. Please advise.

The program needs to evolve as hardware does.

Thanks in advance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:54 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite+ is essentially EOL or end of life, there won't be any more updates unless it's of a critical nature. Check the hardware reference and see if that card is supported in NASLite-2.

Thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:00 pm 

ok....but look here:

http://www.dlink.com/products/support.a ... =1#drivers

this driver has been out since 2003....has development ceased since 2003? I like NASLite, can I add the drivers somehow? Nothing will be done then?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 10:33 pm 

if development has stopped you should stop selling it as well....or give a tutorial on how to upgrade drivers, etc.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:25 pm 

Quote:
if development has stopped you should stop selling it as well.

I have a 486 sitting here waiting for a copy of NASLite+. I'm not sure I like the idea of not being able to buy what I need. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:21 am 

so what are you waiting for then...you said you need it now, so buy!!!

what happens when your NIC breaks and you can't get one that works with the soft?

any any case, they really should have a sticky saying develpment has stopped....just plain courtesy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:01 am 

Ya, me too, I bought naslite+ and it doesn't see my sata drive. wtf

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:04 am 

Both of you guys are real funny. Really now. :)

We are not talking about potatoes Ron. It's not something you stock up on. The software has been good for years as it stands. It isn't going to go bad just because there is a v2. Point was it's better that it's available when I need it rather than not, so I had to say something in response to your "stop selling it" comment.

The driver for your D-Link is a module. Naslite does not support modules. That has been discussed to death on this forum.

So, go get a NIC that works and stop whining.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:08 pm 

Hey I am gonna chime in here...I am a new user...only 1 week. Love the proggy, but I checked the hardware first in manual and got the intel pro 1000...it is fine!!! so Ron you should have checked first.

However, as a new user I was surprised to see the second comment about end of life. I think if it is EOF that this MUST be on the web page somewhere...in that sense I agree with Ron. It is VERY unprofessional to sell something and then when a person asks a question it is EOF. This has to be on the selling page. Come on serverelements....

Other than that the prog is good!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:29 pm 
Site Admin

NASLite+ is no longer actively developed. That is not to say it is not actively supported. NASLite+ and it's USB derivative are built for older machines, have a smaller footprint and as such perform better on low resource hardware than NASLite-2. What else would one run in 32M of RAM? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:05 am 
Site Admin

First of all, I think my EOL comment is being totally taken out of context, I said "Essentially" it's EOL'd. Meaning, there's not going to be anymore features added etc, only possible bug fixes or anything else critical updated and of course continued support.

Quote:
It is VERY unprofessional to sell something and then when a person asks a question it is EOF

What would the *professional* answer have been?

P.S. I guess Rush or Ron could reply since they're both posting from the same ISP

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 10:41 pm 

Ralph,

Why not pick two or three NICS and support them and their successors? Perhaps Linksys and Netgear, which seem popular and are readily available. While older computers may make good servers, old and slow NICs are not compatible with the networks to which these servers will be attached.

If Server Elements did this, customers would know what works and what you are going to support and you would not be trying to supply and support drivers for so many chipsets. NICs are quite inexpensive, so I don't think your customers would be opposed to spending money for one if they knew it was going to work and be supported.

I am a new customer trying to get Naslite-2 CDD installed. I am fighting "red death" of Naslite-2CDD when it encounters my NIC which is a new Linksys EG1032 whose chipset (RTL 81695) was the only one I could buy at CompUSA that was on the "approved" hardware list.
Red death also occurs with my Netgear 311 whose NSC VS306AB chipset is not on the list. No NIC installed also results in "red death". Is this normal?

To avoid "red death" and get on with life, what specific NIC should I buy?

Thanks, Floyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 11:58 pm 
Site Admin

http://www.serverelements.com/file.php? ... erence.pdf

Hardware reference manual lists over 100 nic cards that NASLite-2 supports. I do believe NASLite+ supports all those as well. The Hardware ref comes in handy for knowing what will and won't work :lol:

I'm not quite sure what you mean by "Red Death" I use a Netgear GA311 (RTL 8169) card in my NL2 box with no problems. Can you please clarify what "Red Death" is?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 am 

Ralph,

Thanks for responding. "Red death" occurred when I was installing the Naslite-2 CDD. After I entered Step 6 of the installation instructions and rebooted, Naslite-2 CDD started to reload. After the kernel was loaded and while resources were being checked, each resource that was OK was listed in green; the NIC (which failed) comes up RED and then the system automatically shuts down with messages like:

The system is going down NOW!!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.
Sending SIGKILL to all processes.
The system is halted. Press Reset or turn off power.
Power down

My MB is a Lucky Star 5I-VX1C version 1.2 dated 5/22/97 ITE8680 using a Pentium MMX and Award modular BIOS 2A59GL1FC-00. This more or less a generic Intel i430 VX chipset machine. Floppy is generic and seemed to store the configuration settings of Step 5 (of the installation instructions). Storage disks are WD 250GB EIDE but not yet mounted since I cannot get past step 6.

My Netgear card is not a GA311, it is an FA311 Rev-D2 which uses a NSC VS306AB chip; my Linksys card is a brand new 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Adapter Model EG1032 ver 3 using a Realtek RTL 8169S chip (which I expected to work since the RTL-8169 chipset is listed in the Hardware reference guide under Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd)

Thanks for your help, Floyd

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:13 am 

Ralph,

Thanks for responding. "Red death" occurred when I was installing the Naslite-2 CDD. After I entered Step 6 of the installation instructions and rebooted, Naslite-2 CDD started to reload. After the kernel was loaded and while resources were being checked, each resource that was OK was listed in green; the NIC (which failed) comes up RED and then the system automatically shuts down with messages like:

The system is going down NOW!!
Sending SIGTERM to all processes.
Sending SIGKILL to all processes.
The system is halted. Press Reset or turn off power.
Power down

My MB is a Lucky Star 5I-VX1C version 1.2 dated 5/22/97 ITE8680 using a Pentium MMX and Award modular BIOS 2A59GL1FC-00. This more or less a generic Intel i430 VX chipset machine. Floppy is generic and seemed to store the configuration settings of Step 5 (of the installation instructions). Storage disks are WD 250GB EIDE but not yet mounted since I cannot get past step 6.

My Netgear card is not a GA311, it is an FA311 Rev-D2 which uses a NSC VS306AB chip; my Linksys card is a brand new 10/100/1000 Gigabit Network Adapter Model EG1032 ver 3 using a Realtek RTL 8169S chip (which I expected to work since the RTL-8169 chipset is listed in the Hardware reference guide under Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd)

Thanks for your help, Floyd